Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: syphon mixer math help!!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    cathy eignus
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    laelia
    Member's Country Flag

Default syphon mixer math help!!!

mention the word math and i just crumple. i want to mix my fertilizer the recommended rate of 3/4 tsp per gal and the hyponex dilutes it at 16:1. now i am ready to faint! i want to mix up 5 gallons. when that is figured out i will half that amount (i can do that) so i can fertilize every 4 waterings. can someone help me?
    cathy

Real Name
    Katherine
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too new to tell
    Member's Country Flag

Call Hyponex and ask them. Some one should be able to do the math for you.

Hyponex, ......Cresson, TX (817) 396-4391

Real Name
    Rich Weise
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & Den.
    Member's Country Flag

i did a little surfing on the web. This is what I found. I hope it helps.
    How to prepare a concentrated solution if it isn’t in the chart below: Since the proportions at 1:16, under normal conditions the concentrated solution should be made at 16 times the recommended rate. Example: If a fertilizer recommendation is 2 TBSP per gallon for hand watering, you would make the solution at a rate 16 time greater than the 2 TBSP rate (i.e. 16 x 2 = 32), so 32 TBSP per gallon would be the concentrated rate. When mixed with water from the hose, the solution will come out the hose end at the recommended rate of 2 TBSP per gallon. The syphon mixer will draw one gallon of concentrate in about five minutes and this will be mixed with approximately 12 to 18 parts of water through the hose, depending on the flow rate. A larger diameter hose, i.e. 5/8” instead of 1/2”, will give a larger flow rate. Excessive back-pressure will cause the siphon to stop drawing. Adjustable nozzles should not be used or should be wide open for best results.

So with all that said. The answer to mix (1 Gal. @ Rate of 3/4 tsp. is .75 x 16 ) would be 12 tsp per gal. x 5 gals. = 60 tsp. for 5 Gals.

Hope this Helped. Rich

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Rich is right, it's (final desired concentration) x (the ratio) - 3/4 x 16 = 12.

However, siphon mixers are very sensitive to changes in flow resistance (i.e, reduction in pressure drop). Before you rely on the 16:1 ratio, fill a 1-gallon jug with water (I'd add food coloring to see it better), insert the siphon hose into it, and direct the outlet into a 5-gallon bucket. Turn on the water, and estimate the volume of output needed to completely use up the gallon of feed. That'll give you a better idea of the true ratio.