Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Poor Babies!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tammy
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, for now
    Member's Country Flag

Wink The Rescue Phal, Now...

I think this little gal is still very happy. Even though she has been made to face the West instead of the East. I have been pretty diligent about closing off the blinds to shade her, and the African Violets I have in that room. But I also do not want them to not get enough light. The blinds cut off nearly everything. SO, I am going to make some sheers to put in that window, and instead of closing the blinds, I am going to draw the sheers closed. Nice Ivory, sheer fabric, in theory, should allow the filtered sun to come through, but not direct burning rays...

Right?? Anyone have some advice on this? I'd appreciate a nod in the right direction. I think I am doing a good thing...

Anyway, here's some updated pics for ya!! I took these pics yesterday morning right after her weekly soaking, so the bark is wet, but it does dry most of the way out before we water again...

Been a little concerned about the one rotting root I can see, but there's so much new growth, I feel I should just let it be...
    Name:  rootsinpot.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  46.5 KB

Here you can see some of the new root growth going on outside the bark!!
    Name:  rootsontop.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  57.2 KB

This is what the new leaf looks like now
    Name:  newleafnow.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  54.5 KB

Just a nice picture of the whole plant in the window where I will be keeping her. I have the stake in there to hold her up, and she sits in that ceramic dish because the pot is really top heavy. I'm not real sure what to do about that!
    Name:  fromthefront.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  47.2 KB

Alrighty y'all, I hope you enjoyed the update! I hope everyone is doing well and I will share with you again soon!!!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

new roots look good but i observe that the bark looks too wet. is that because you watered it just before the pic or how is it?

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I wouldn't be too concerned about the one root, because you recently repotted it and changed the media, the old roots will slowly die off. As long as you have a happy plant and new growth and roots coming, you can safely ignore the old ones, they will just disintegrate. I put some of my top heavy orchids in larger heavy pots between waterings too. As long as they are drying out properly and not staying too wet, I don't worry too much about it. I just take them out to water, let them drain well, then put them back in until the next time. I recently lost a new bloom on a Catt by not doing that, because it all fell over. Just keep an eye on it all, your Phal looks great, much improved.

Real Name
    Tammy
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, for now
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ksriramkumar View Post
    new roots look good but i observe that the bark looks too wet. is that because you watered it just before the pic or how is it?
    Yes, I had just watered...

Real Name
    Svetlana
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, catts, catasetums
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the one root, because you recently repotted it and changed the media, the old roots will slowly die off. As long as you have a happy plant and new growth and roots coming, you can safely ignore the old ones, they will just disintegrate. I put some of my top heavy orchids in larger heavy pots between waterings too. As long as they are drying out properly and not staying too wet, I don't worry too much about it. I just take them out to water, let them drain well, then put them back in until the next time. I recently lost a new bloom on a Catt by not doing that, because it all fell over. Just keep an eye on it all, your Phal looks great, much improved.
    Carol, so are you saying its ok to see rotten roots after repotting? I would expect roots to dry out after repotting but not to rot. Wont this one rotten root make other to rot?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

Does the plant drain well and dry out pretty well between waterings? If so, it should be ok - at least with your clear pot you can monitor the situation and repot if it seems to be spreading. Now this is my personal philosophy, but it seems to me most plants would rather be left alone as long as the plant is happy and the majority of the roots are healthy (and the media is in good shape). It could be that my style is appropriate for my situation - very dry here.

My Phals are in clay or ceramic pots with lots of air holes. I frankly have no idea if their roots are good, except the ones that come poking out. When I repot them, some of the roots will be dry or dead and the plants are fine. If they show signs of stress, I repot pretty quickly, otherwise every year or two, depending on how things are going. I've lost very few of them, until last year I had one whose flowers we used at our wedding in 1976! I used the wrong media for it, compacted on the roots and killed it. It was a huge plant until then and I did react too slowly when it started to go bad, I just didn't believe that it would do that. I do wish I'd pulled it when 2-3 leaves went yellow quite quickly, now I know what to look for, but it was a painful lesson! Other than that, I think I've lost a grocery store rescue or two, but otherwise my Phals have been troopers for me.

You have nice chunky media, I don't see any reason your Phal should rot its roots, just keep an eye on it and don't overwater.

Cinnamon is an organic fungicide that is helpful when treating diseases or bacteria on Orchids. Must remove diseased/rotted part of orchid with clean utensils and dust the cinnamon on the healthy "roots" not leaves.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

I am sorry to correct you but that is not quite accurate. In fact, it is the opposite that is true.

Cinnamon is too harsh for roots and we try to avoid getting it on the roots. But we do use it on fresh cuts whether it be on leaves or stems. I try to coat the 'wound' from my intentional cut or an accidental cut on leaves or stems.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Concur with Harvey. Cinnamon on healthy roots would desiccate the roots