Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW NEW NEW CONTEST

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Talking NEW NEW NEW CONTEST

Since I rearranged my growing area and added the plant cart, I have 2 plants that are not doing very well in that environment. And I am going to give one away. Yep, free! No cost, postage, nothin. Unfortunately, since I'm in the USA I can't send this to a winner in another country

So - for our US folks, here is the contest. Post the reason why you should get this plant...

The plant is a mature Phal Bellina, picture link below of last bloom, although a bit washed out color wise from the flash. Since the change in the environment it has done NOTHING - including the bloom spike which is nice and green but has not grown a millimeter....

Healthy and very fragrant when in bloom....

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...1&d=1124573251

The best reason I can come up with is that I don't have any species Phals and it is so pretty!!!!
    Some one has to have a better reason than that. Where is everyone???
    Thanks for starting a new contest.

Hi Diane,

Nice you're injecting some excitement into the game!

Shalene's right. It is pretty, and I don't own any species phals either. So we'll have to come up with something better than that.

How about I have some grim disease, and I only have three months to live - and your phal will make me so happy during that time! Er...well, only if it blooms like right away. On second thought. Maybe that's not such a hot reason for owning a slowly performing orchid...

By the way, what were the old conditions it liked and how does its currently environment now differ?

OK, how bout this...we saw how effectively shameless bribery worked with Da Judge...

I'll offer trade for two leather-bound, gilt edged Peterson field guides - mint condition (very mint): Birds of the Caribbean and Mexican Birds.

Julie

My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Pleurothallis

Lightbulb Pick me! Pick me!

You should send ME this phal for three reasons;

1. I have never owned a species phal as beautiful as phal bellina.
    2. Phal bellina is one of my two most favorite phal blooms.
    3. I am currently learning Phal stem propagation, both asceptic and unsterile, so if that spike nub ever grows one node, I CAN CLONE IT!!!!!
    P.s my phals grow like crazy here!

Default Reason why I would like this plant

1. I have only two phals, both of which are doing phenominally well
    2. I have a bright, healthy environment with plenty of room to adopt new additions
    3. I am practicing botanical illustration, and only have a few limited subjects with which to work
    4. I am concentrating my collection on species orchids with the inent of flasking the seed (I finally have ALL of my necessary equipment to perform flasking at home), keeping a few and donating plants once they reach a stable size to learning institutions for their private collections and to botanical societies
    5. It is a beautiful plant

Ok, well, I don't think that all of this makes me more deserving than another, but I figured I would chime in (and I am serious about the donation of stable plants to colleges/universities and to botanical society collections).

Ok, here's my pitch...

(1) I'm a starving graduate student who's sanity and chances for successful graduation are directly proportional to the beauty of her orchid collection (and so you'd basically be guaranteeing that I graduate!)

(2) Your lovely plant would be a wonderful reward for passing the 3 tests that I have next friday and the paper that's due on Monday.

(3) Maybe having a big brother/sister to look up to would help my little bellina grow up big and strong.

(4) Ummm.... well, that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for posting the contest and the picture of your phal. It's beautiful! And a great study break. Good luck all!

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

ok, well I'm not really entering the comp.. but thought I'd give reason enough why I deserve one of these beauties... and I hope the SO reads this

why would I want this pretty Phal?
    Why, simply because I want to enthral...
    but why this bellina?
    coz, I want to be the winner!

teee heee....

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me . I am opting out, I would be the winner . After all I am 100 , not a lot of time left to enjoy the beautiful things in life . I lie too , The truth is I have one , Glad I am not judging your contest . Gin

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Hi Diane,

By the way, what were the old conditions it liked and how does its currently environment now differ?

OK, how bout this...we saw how effectively shameless bribery worked with Da Judge...

I'll offer trade for two leather-bound, gilt edged Peterson field guides - mint condition (very mint): Birds of the Caribbean and Mexican Birds.

Julie
    The old environment gave it better filtered light and MUCH higher humidity. The other struggling plant is also a phal, an equestris which was doing very well until the change and has now stopped growing and blooming.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

My equestris are on hold too , when we have longer days and warmer weather here they should take off .