Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orchid Collecting Self Control?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I go to orchid shows with cold hard cash, it saves me a lot and I still have fun spending half the day deciding after I tour the show! I buy for my daughter in law and her mother, my daughter and myself. It's always a lot of fun and cash keeps it under control. I often go shopping with a certain amount of "discretionary" cash in case I have to buy an orchid or two! My husband is way too sweet. I have quite a lot of orchids when it comes down to it and he doesn't complain.

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmike12100 View Post
    if was me i buy 3-feed the kids and forget the cat-
    4 orchids, feed the cat, and let the kids fend for themselves.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis

I limit what I buy through limiting how much space I have available for growing. If I had too many plants, I would likely stop enjoying the care taking of all of them. I buy things that I like growing. Sometimes, friends at my OS share divisions of this or that (and I share right back). Some things I keep, other things I give away if I find that it does not suit me for some reason (can't bloom it, too big, blooms don't justify the effort, no ID, etc.).

There are certain plants that are on my "list" that I do keep an eye out for, especially classic hybrids that are hard to find. I am always on the hunt for a Lc. Ecstacy 'Orchidglade' for example (like a birder looking for an ivory-billed woodpecker, I have come close a few times, but "no cigar" so far). I will make room for this plant if I can ever find one.

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I get it Catt Mandu, that is pretty similar to my own plan. I'm getting harder hearted, but really having less means the ones I have do better, are happier and bloom more. I'm learning to let go of the ones that don't thrive under my conditions and care, though I still give it a really good go. I can see I'm at a level that I'm comfortable with, no hurry to go get anything else at this time. Also I'm waiting to see how some of my more troubled orchids do, can I get them to grow well or not? That will determine if I get relatives or similar plants in the future. My Phals are happy, but I've got plenty, it would take a pretty fancy Phal to interest me atm. My Onc Alliance aren't thriving, going to hold off until I either decide I can't provide what they need or how to get them to grow well. My bigger Catts are doing well, my smaller ones not so much at this time, so no more baby Catts. I'm pretty sure that after 2 1/2 years I am gradually losing my Masdevallia, never got it to grow and have barely managed to keep it alive as it gets smaller all the time.

Anyway, I have Phals spiking, so I'm excited about that!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & indigenous
    Member's Country Flag

So appreciate this - I have signed up for, and started, our local ORCHID JUDGES COURSE - not so much to be a judge, but to learn more - and we are covering Cattleyas for the time being.....am HOOKED!!!!!

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals

A phal and a C. walkeriana semi-alba followed me home yesterday. I also picked up another of those black plastic annual-pot 6-hole holders...that means I now have more room. Uh-oh.

But when I do go to the show in January, I'm targeting one specific plant: C. Jose Marti 'Mother's Favorite'. It's a big white showy fragrant cross between Bow Bells and Bob Betts and seems to be rather thin on the ground.