Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: What will grow well in wooden-slatted baskets

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Brassia BABY!!

Default What will grow well in wooden-slatted baskets

In your opinion, which types of orchids work well in wooden baskets and which types are more suited for ceramic pots. I am very fond of the basket, and I have many orchids hanging in tears, packed with moss and orchid bark and living happy (though dorment) in my window. Most of these are phals, but i have two paphs, one oncidium and a vanda in baskets as well. any thoughts? thanks,
    catherine

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Hi , I think almost any can be grown in baskets if you can water them enough . What I have in baskets are Vandas , neos. , gongora , Hwra . lava burst , coryanthes , stanhope , species dendrobiums , and other monopodial growth types . 3 Phals . a few cattleyas . I like the baskets too , the only down thing I see is there is more root damage if and when they have to be moved , I have set one basket in another larger one , cutting away as much of the old one as possible . I have not tried Paphs. in baskets , how is it working out for yours ? Gin

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Brassia BABY!!

It's really the paphs that I worry about. They seem to be very happy. They put out new leaves and their color is great. I can't see the roots without digging, so I'm not sure of the state of affairs, but the plants look good. The only thing is, I can't seem to get them to rebloom in the basket. I keep them well watered, but maybe they don't retain the water as well as they need to. I don't know. My phals love the baskets, and my vanda appears to be very healthy with no potting medium whatsoever. I do have a cattleya in a ceramic pot, and I don't think it likes it there. Do you think it would do better in a basket?
    cat

I think it's important to consider how each orchid would grow in the wild. Epiphytic orchids, which grow in trees, are no-brainers for baskets. But very few paphs are epiphytic. Rather, they're typically terrestrial, with roots that grow just under the moist ground cover.

My guess is you'll have major humidity problems with a paph in a basket. If you don't want to risk the plant, you might want to repot it sooner than later. Either way, let us know how you make out!

Julie

I have great luck with cats in baskets. I've used one when I repotted a compot and was able to stick alot of them in one basket so it looks great. Probably have another year to bloom as they are pretty small.

I've NEVER put a paph in one as I don't think they are epiphytic either. My paphs do best in clay pots. I have a couple of different vandas in baskets and they seem to like it. I definately think the cat would like a basket better.

Here is one of my tips on baskets. I can be a cheapskate at times. I have found I can go to goodwill and buy regular baskets. Sorta like an easter basket but good looking ones that look natural. I have had a bit of luck with these. You have a handle to hang them from. They drain perfectly (make sure there is no lining or rip it out if there is). They are very attractive and people think it is rather creative lol.

One of my favorite ways to mount cats and epiphytic orchids is on driftwood. I've got some really beautiful pieces that are just awesome and the plants have done really well. I'm not talking just a half shell piece of wood. I use ones that have interesting nooks and crannies and put the orchids on to suit the look I'm going for.

Default He puts in in the basket or else he gets the hose again

Sorry, I couldn't pass up the Silence of the Lambs reference

The only 'chid I grow currently in a basket is my Brassia 'Spider's Gold', but eventually I want to pot my Isochillus and a couple of my phals (let those flower spikes droop like they naturally do!)