Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: need input on my new orchid set up!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Lightbulb need input on my new orchid set up!

I am quickly accumulating orchids and have moved beyond just rescuing phals ---- vendor information removed -see faqs on posting----. I bought a metal rack shelf to put in my slider door window, thinking they would all co-habitate happily. The phals seem to be happy anywhere I put them, but I now have about 5 catts. an encyclia tampensis, miltassia shelob tolkien, oncostele wildcat (none are in bloom/spike) and just yesterday purchased (flowering) dyakia hendersoniana and habenaria rhodochiela.

Back when I started purchasing non-phal orchids I also created a mini-greenhouse set up on the metal rack. I live in Western NY so I have no hopes of putting anyone outside, ever. This set-up consisted of a mini greenhouse, glass sides and closing top, a bottom tray with large pebbles (used as a humidity tray) and a gro-light (approx. 6 inches above the plants).

After reading a little bit today, and being strongly motivated to not kill my two newest, flowering babies, I kicked all the phals to the second tier and put all the other orchids in the "greenhouse". I have attached the photos and hope to get some feedback. I am feeling overwhelmed and conflicted on what orchids need what environments. My next purchase will be an actual indoor greenhouse that I can put more lights/fans in and monitor humidity... Until then I want to keep all these ones content As you can see its getting pretty crowded in there so I want to make sure everyone that NEEDS to be in there is.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  88.8 KB

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

I like the dyakia hendersoniana!
    Here is a link to an excellent species orchid website for this species orchid. It is great for most that you may consider buying in the future. I use it daily!
    IOSPE PHOTOS

How much light is on your set up? You may need more for your catts to bloom.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Harvey beat me to the punch – Jay Pfahl's website is an excellent resource.

I must also comment that that grow light of yours looks to be fairly ineffective. I can't tell from the photo, but it appears to be a CFL in a reflector. Unless it is 150 W or so, from that distance it is just not providing enough light.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you! For lighting I just bought a 75W Spot-Gro plant bulb from my local hardware store. It's in a mountable clamp light, about 6 inches above the greenhouse. This is also in a window that has an outdoor awning so it gets good, indirect light during the day. Do you think I need more for the catts? I plan on upgrading this whole set-up in a few weeks, mainly because I have no room left in this spot, but I also know it's not the best set-up for these plants.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Harvey beat me to the punch – Jay Pfahl's website is an excellent resource.

I must also comment that that grow light of yours looks to be fairly ineffective. I can't tell from the photo, but it appears to be a CFL in a reflector. Unless it is 150 W or so, from that distance it is just not providing enough light.
    Thanks for the feedback! It's only a 75W bulb, so I guess that makes sense that the Phals liked it and were not getting burnt (I do not leave it on continually, but turn on/off after about 12 hours). My plan is to get a semi-walk in greenhouse off a large online vendor site and place it in this window. Upgrade the lighting and get actual humidity trays. From what I've read I also would need a small fan to circulate the air and as a bonus get a monitor for temp & humidity. Maybe even a light timer... Seems like I'm just really a beginner with this lighting though. Needs to be at least 150W and within 6 inches of plants? Thanks again!!!