Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Schomburgkia

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Question Help with Schomburgkia

Hello! I've been reading this forum for a long time but not as a registered user. I've a new orchid cutting and I've been told it's a Schomburgkia. It seems to be a genus not very detailed as I didn't found too much information in the Internet. Because of my location (Venezuela) it seems to be a Schomburgkia undulata (or Laelia undulata). Also I've been told it blooms by the end of the year (nov-dec) in my country. I've mounted the orchid in a wood piece as it's supposed this type of orchids thrive over the trees. The roots are not in its best state, but at least few of them are alive (they turn green when watering). It's already a mature plant because I can see previous spikes that have been cut. My first question if someone have this orchid and can help me is: what's the behaviour of root development? It sends new roots after it finish flowering or after the pseudobulb matures? I have the orchid on the window 24/7 because I readed it needs plenty of sunlight to bloom. The penultimate pseudobulb does not show signs of a flower spike and the newest only have a green empty sheath for the moment. Two weeks have passed since I got this orchid.Here is a couple of pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    Jesus Carreno
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Everything that blooms for me
    Member's Country Flag

Schomburgkia and Laelia are not the same genus. Your plant seems to be a Laelia, by no means a Schomburgkia. The plant seems fine to me. It even has a new active growing point that son will give you a new cane. I've no idea about the rooting habits though. Perhaps somebody who grows this plant can help you.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Orquiadicto View Post
    Schomburgkia and Laelia are not the same genus. Your plant seems to be a Laelia, by no means a Schomburgkia. The plant seems fine to me. It even has a new active growing point that son will give you a new cane. I've no idea about the rooting habits though. Perhaps somebody who grows this plant can help you.
    Hi! Yes, the first thing I noticed in the Internet is that some websites called this orchid a Schomburgkia and others Laelia. It's definitely a Laelia as you said. Yeah, it have good growing points. I guess it grows a new pseudobulb per year. I hope someone could give me more information about this orchid, I'm basically concerned about the roots.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Does anyone knows if this orchid blooms from a dry sheath? I noticed that the green sheath of the latest pseudobulb (the one in the picture above) started to dry

Real Name
    Svetlana
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, catts, catasetums
    Member's Country Flag

It probably won't bloom from that sheath. From your fist pic you dont have enough vial roots to support sheath development. They also suggest if you repot catt in sheath you better cut it off so all energy goes to root development.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

I think it have a double sheath, because it dried but there's still a green sheath. Also, I noticed some kind of "dots" in the rhizome, on the last pseudobulb, I think it soon will begin to develop new roots.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Yeah, it definitely started to develop new roots Even in one of the oldest pseudobulbs I noticed a small root coming from the rhizome! I thought that roots only come from the new growths.

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Take care the new tender roots as the insects like cockroach really love it.

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Laelia vs. Schomburgkia. If this is Laelia undulata, and I see no reason to think it isn't, then it was generally considered Schomburgia undulata for many years, and still is by some. Quite a few species followed the same path from Schomburgkia to Laelia, while others went from Schomburgkia to Myrmecophila, leaving Schomburgkia as just a memory. But as I said, not everyone accepts that, and meanwhile the whole concept of Laelia changed too, with many species ending up as Cattleya, with even more people dissenting. So saying Laelia and Schomburgkia are not the same is partly true, and partly not, and ends up being a rather complicated over-simplification.

It looks like your plant is well on its way to happily taking over its new mount, so if it doesn't bloom on this sheath I think it is likely that it will on the new growth just coming on. Bright light is the key, and reduce water slightly when the new growth is mature.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PaphMadMan View Post
    Laelia vs. Schomburgkia. If this is Laelia undulata, and I see no reason to think it isn't, then it was generally considered Schomburgia undulata for many years, and still is by some. Quite a few species followed the same path from Schomburgkia to Laelia, while others went from Schomburgkia to Myrmecophila, leaving Schomburgkia as just a memory. But as I said, not everyone accepts that, and meanwhile the whole concept of Laelia changed too, with many species ending up as Cattleya, with even more people dissenting. So saying Laelia and Schomburgkia are not the same is partly true, and partly not, and ends up being a rather complicated over-simplification.

It looks like your plant is well on its way to happily taking over its new mount, so if it doesn't bloom on this sheath I think it is likely that it will on the new growth just coming on. Bright light is the key, and reduce water slightly when the new growth is mature.
    Thanks for the information! The orchid seems to be developing roots everywhere, I can see multiple new root tips in roots I thought they were dead or damaged.