I have found kelp to work wonders for root growth also. I use maxicrop kelp which is granular because a friend gave me a pound of it. I make a stock solution of it.

I have a mini phal which was my first orchid. I did not care for it very well at first but as I started to learn more about orchids and purchased a few more I realized the miniphal was not doing very well. It did not have many roots left. It had grown a new leaf now and then but each leaf was smaller than the previous leaf which is not a good sign.

I finally put it with its one remaining root into a small pot and kept it on a seedling heat mat because I read that warm will encourage root growth. Then I made up a weak mixture of kelp in a spray bottle and sprayed the base of the orchid almost everyday with the kelp. Here are photos of both sides of the phal just maybe 3 or 4 weeks after I started this experiment. The larger short root on the right I think was the only root it had left.

Name:  roots.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  206.6 KB

Name:  roots2.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  198.8 KB

This phal went about two years without growing any roots. It is now about 9 months later and it has lots of long fat roots filling the media. I hope someday to see it bloom. I forgot what color it is.