Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: I FOUND BLC DAYBREAK!!!!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Thanks, Nen! Glad to have you join the party!

McJulie

Real Name
    Rolando Armentero
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas and vandas
    Member's Country Flag

So they'll be the graduating class of 2010....LOL. And will take about 4 more years or so to see blooms. Yep; they'll be blooming for my 10 year high school reunion in 2015.

It's much harder the first time around, Roly! If you make a new cross that hasn't yet been registered, you can't even name the cross until the seedlings mature and first flower. Only then can you register it and name it.

My sister did all of this back in the late '80's and '90's, naming it for my grandmother. Then, because the cross wasn't being commercially grown and sold, there was no trace of surviving plants after my sister lost hers in Hurricane Katrina.

So this remake of her registered cross is certainly a novel, and not a short story! But if there's a good ending awaiting the story's conclusion, I don't mind a slow, cozy read. I'm in no rush!

Think of what a great journey we're all on - as each new forum friend reads this story and joins in our march, we're re-creating something that was lost through tragedy. What a wonderful tribute, not just to my grandmother, Gladys Young, but also to the survivors of Katrina who were so abandoned by our government in such need. This is a story of recovering, recreating, and rebuilding. It's a story about not giving up, and isn't that a message of hope we could use right now!

I don't know how many seedlings we'll get, but everyone here, to whom we can ship, is promised one. Wouldn't that be such a wonderful legacy! With this cross, the goal isn't commercial profit. It's about sharing a common passion, and spreading hope for things unlikely. I can't think of a more fitting way to honor my grandmother's memory, or my sister's work!

All best,
    Julie

Real Name
    Terry

Wow, beautifully said Julie.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by terenh View Post
    Wow, beautifully said Julie.
    I agree.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Rolando Armentero
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas and vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Your words gave me goosebumps !!!! If and when it's mature enough in the case it gets an award I would name it Blc Gladys Young 'Eternal Tribute'

Real Name
    Larry
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis for bloom time
    Member's Country Flag

Your joy and enthusiam is catching. Hope you keep us all updated of your progress.
    TWLARRY

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the update for our new followers. bTW, has your sister recovered from the Katrina tradgedy? I hope so. We should not forget those who suffered in any trial: hurricane, flood, wildfire, earthquake, tornado, winter weather, divorce, etc. We on the outside forget easily when it's not in the frontpage news. But for those who live through it the effects go on for years sometimes. We still have families in need here from Hurricane Ivan in 2004. And the folks in Austrailia from the wildfires? My goodness there is a need there that will go on for a while. So, McJulie, we remember your mcsister and hope she is doing well in the aftermath Katrina.
    So you and Doc Spock please keep us updated on this phoenix story!

Tmai

Thanks for asking, Tami - my sister is doing well. It took her 18 months of rebuilding to move back into her house on the Mississippi coast, which was better than some, and she did receive some insurance money, which was more fortunate than many. But, as you point out, that area is still ravaged all this time afterwards.

I think the tight, global family we have on this forum is such a wonderful lesson in diversity and tolerance. Whether we differ on national politics, religious belief, personal lifestyle choice, or orchid preference, strengthening friendships across such disparate lives and tastes is absolutely the Rx for our world. It's only through familiarity to, and acceptance of difference that we combat jingoism, isolationism, and small-minded hatred.

We're doing that here . . .
    UP THE FORUM!

McGratefulforthisVenue

Real Name
    Rob Parsons
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipedium
    Member's Country Flag

I missed the early stage of this thread, and I initially wondered what the subject line had to do with this story of seeds in a flasking lab. Once I went back to the beginning, it did become clear--although I'll admit I was a trifle daunted when I saw how many posts there were--and proved to be a fascinating read. I was sorry to read of Julie's disappointment with the seeming lack of response from her sister vs. the other two families helped by the fundraiser. Yes, some people do sometimes seem ungrateful, but sometimes it's a result of not being as articulate or as wordy. (Obviously, the latter is something I don't suffer from! LOL) There is one other factor that may explain the difference, though. The other two families were helped by strangers and they probably were amazed, as well as grateful. Sometimes we take our family's supportiveness (is that a word?) for granted, or perhaps not for granted but to be expected. Anyhow, McJulie, I (and probably everyone else who knows you through this forum) am very impressed by all your efforts and delighted to have you as a virtual friend! Because of that darn 49th parallel, I can't ever expect to have one of the seedlings, but will be most interested in the progress of them.

Cheers,
    Rob