Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
My own personal experiences with phallies ( hybrid ones like this,) is that it is just not worth while . They are so cheap and easily available - why have a recovering plant doing nothing useful for too long ? I throw them away - if they are in poor condition ; once gone, I soon forget them.
Now a species, available only with difficulty, expensive - that might be different . But even then I usually end up throwing away. they can take so long to recover, and sometimes never do - correction - frequently never do. Of course if I lived in say Brazil or Thailand or whatever, it might be different , but in a temperate country, orchids need a heated space, ( my greenhouse for example) and its always overcrowded. Why occupy it with plants not too good ?
That's an interesting perspective...and one I might have too in the future. Right now, I would consider myself an orchid beginner, and I think it would be helpful for me to understand how to help my orchids recover. I only have 11 right now, so they aren't taking up too much space