Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild color orchids?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Traci View Post
    Thanks Kirk for the info. I hope I won't be disappointed either. I do like the appearance that is typically shown more so than the reverse so I will see what I will get.
    I guess regarding the name and it not being registered is why Phal 'Magic Art' is in quotes and not written as the conventional Phal Magic Art.
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencegal View Post
    So are you saying that Phalaenopsis 'Magic Art' is different from Phalaenopsis Magic Art?
    'Magic Art' is legitimately in single quotes because it is an asexually propagated cultivar, but the grex is undisclosed (and possibly unregistered or unknown), so Phal 'Magic Art' is perfectly correct as long as it was not previously given some other cultivar name, and as complete as possible under the circumstances. Phal Magic Art is a registered grex, but being mostly Phal stuartiana and Phal lueddemanniana would look nothing like this. Phal 'Magic Art' is not Phal Magic Art, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Real Name
    Karin

So if a name is not in quotes it is a registered grex and if it is in quotes it is not registered?
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

So if a name is not in quotes it is a registered grex and if it is in quotes it is not registered?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I think what Kirk meant was the name that is in single quotes are cultivar name, Phal 'Magic Art'. 'Magic Art' here is the cultivar name for the Phal that Traci just purchase. But note that Phal 'Magic Art' has no registered grex name. Perhaps the vendor did not reveal it to the seller.

However, Phal Magic Art also existed, in this case the Magic Art without single quote stands for the registered grex name. Phal Magic Art BlueNanta.

---------- Post Merged at 08:34 PM ----------

To add, hybrids that has Phalaenopsis speciosa blood may contribute to the wild colour type Phalaenopsis I guess.

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Posted via Mobile Device
    A registered grex name is never in quotes. A cultivar name is always in single quotes. At least, those things are true if we're using correct notation.

We often see names like Phalaenopsis Kenneth Schubert 'Orchidglade' where there is both a registered grex name (Kenneth Schubert = pulcherrima x violacea) and a cultivar name like 'Orchidglade' in single quotes. The grex name Kenneth Schubert is for all plants from pulcherrima x violacea, or violacea x pulcherrima, or Kenneth Schubert x Kenneth Schubert. The cultivar name 'Orchidglade' applies to one particular plant of Phal Kenneth Schubert and all plants asexually propagated from it, clones or keikis etc.

In this case we don't know what the grex name is, or if there is one, but we can still have a cultivar name like Phalaenopsis 'Magic Art'. Essentially the grex name is left blank, but that doesn't change the fact that this particular plant called 'Magic Art' that was propagated. There also happens to be a registered grex called Phalaenopsis Magic Art, but Phalaenopsis 'Magic Art' is not part of that grex.

Real Name
    Karin

Thanks, Kirk and Azizan. That was confusing but is now is more than clear. Traci - I wonder if you could ask the seller if they know more about it? I can't find any information or mention of wild color phals.

Real Name
    Karin

Strange coincidence. I ordered myself a Christmas present - 10 phals, growers choice in spike that were too good a price to pass up. They came from Hawaii 2 day air in perfect shape. I just unpacked them and found that Phal 'Magic Art' is one of them.

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Member's Country Flag

That is a strange coincidence indeed. Let me know what color you get when it blooms. I will let you know if I hear from the seller of they can tell me any more about 'magic art'.
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Strange coincidence. I ordered myself a Christmas present - 10 phals, growers choice in spike that were too good a price to pass up. They came from Hawaii 2 day air in perfect shape. I just unpacked them and found that Phal 'Magic Art' is one of them.
    We shall witness the "wildness" of this Phalaenopsis!

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Azizan View Post
    We shall witness the "wildness" of this Phalaenopsis!
    Hehehe. I emailed the vendor and received a reply back from a customer service rep. She said that she didn't have the answer and the owner who is a horticulturist won't be in until next week but she will leave the message for him to answer If he can.

Real Name
    Karin

I have watched their videos and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable. Mine has very purple undersides to the leaves. The spike is very short - 5 inches - so it will be a few months until I know on this one.