Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phals under light problem

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

After giving all of my phals a magnesium bath overnight as a precaution, (whoo and I have many) I do see improvements. I have always used slotted pots because I like the idea of aeration of the roots. With that said I do plan on watering more as well as a preventive fungal treatment. I have been using Inocucor in the past but my husband won't let me use it any more because of the smell in the house afterwards. He has a high sense of smell. Does anyone use anything else? Please tell me because I do not want to worry about fungus. Please you guys. I am so appreciative of all the help I have been getting.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Good to hear that. Possibly you can try using inocucor outdoors and then bring in the plants

Real Name
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by moniluhum View Post
    After giving all of my phals a magnesium bath overnight as a precaution, (whoo and I have many) I do see improvements. I have always used slotted pots because I like the idea of aeration of the roots. With that said I do plan on watering more as well as a preventive fungal treatment. I have been using Inocucor in the past but my husband won't let me use it any more because of the smell in the house afterwards. He has a high sense of smell. Does anyone use anything else? Please tell me because I do not want to worry about fungus. Please you guys. I am so appreciative of all the help I have been getting.
    I use Recharge which doesn't have a strong smell. But I don't use it on epiphyte orchids since the whole idea is to inoculate with beneficial soil bacteria and fungi. I use it on my tropical plants with amazing results. If you do not have a lot of organic material the microbes can't get established. Inocucor only has one soil bacteria plus yeast. There was another discussion on it although this will now probably lead to another one. If you want a preventive fungal treatment use a systemic fungicide.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegal View Post
    I use Recharge which doesn't have a strong smell. But I don't use it on epiphyte orchids since the whole idea is to inoculate with beneficial soil bacteria and fungi. I use it on my tropical plants with amazing results. If you do not have a lot of organic material the microbes can't get established. Inocucor only has one soil bacteria plus yeast. There was another discussion on it although this will now probably lead to another one. If you want a preventive fungal treatment use a systemic fungicide.
    Here is the discussion > http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...robiotics.html

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Too many plants. Would take me all day.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

I have one certain way of making mycollection look better, and that is to harden my heart and throw away any poor looking plant. Once a plant gets into a bad state it can take for ever to restore it to health. Junk it, then you have space for a new healthy flowering plant which will bring you joy. Looking at a half dead plant only brings gloom.
    I keep my phals, out of bloom on the window sill in my bathroom - faces east, and the window has clear glass so i have a venetian blind with the slats half open. The window gets steamed up from my shower every day, but with heating ( we keep the house at 17 or so at night and 22 or more in the day ) they need watering ( dunk in a bucket) every 4 or 5 days, but I love looking at those pots chock full of roots when I am cleaning my teeth- makes my day. If the pots are not full of roots, then something is wrong !

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

I do have some plants that are not doing well, but not to a point of throwing away. Thanks to help from the nice people here at Orchid Talk I have hope for them. I have already changed my habit of watering my plants under lights and can see a difference thanks to their Magnesium bath. But I do understand what you are saying.

Real Name
    Karin

I think the lessons learned from restoring a sick orchid can be applied to preventing future problems in what appear to be healthy orchids.