Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Old potting media question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

Post Old potting media question

New orchids received - I will update my list and ask a couple of questions about their substrate, but let's start with the most urgent ones!

So, here is my very first Aerangis biloba (and hopefully - the last, assuming that I haven't killed this one hah). The plant looks ok I guess. Maybe I don't like the areal roots, a bit dried. But the substrate... it's a mix of bark and some spongy stuff. I'd like to repot it. Should I do it now or wait untill I see some growing signs? Which substrate to use, can I the one I use for phals? I have completely no experience with Angraecums but I read the biloba is pretty easy for novice orchid growers.. with no windowsill.. And I just love it!

Name:  WP_20170210_14_33_57_Pro.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  rsz_wp_20170210_14_34_09_pro.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  rsz_wp_20170210_14_34_35_pro.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  rsz_wp_20170210_14_34_50_pro.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  83.1 KB

And a question about Phal tetraspis. It's been like 5 days since I got them but the roots and substrate still look wet. The roots are still green.. That worries me. I don't like too much the potting media of this one too and would like to repot it. But it looks to me that it's growing new spikes... I don't want to interrupt that. Besides I've read that is better to repot when you see new root tips that I don't see so far. What should I do? And what about the green moss?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

Sorry for the huge pics.

I'm attaching also tetraspis pics. I hope is seen the roots like this.

Name:  rsz_wp_20170210_14_31_20_pro.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  rsz_wp_20170210_14_31_28_pro.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  rsz_wp_20170210_14_31_53_pro.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  73.2 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Aerengis biloba is a nice buy. Media that is seen outside looks fine and not broken. It would be better to repot once starts growing new roots. tetraspis also looks fine. roots are healthy and media also looks good.

water them only when they become dry. You can use a skewer to check the moisture level and decide to water

growing of green moss on the top gives a good indication of the health. I would not disturb it

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

Quote Originally Posted by ksriramkumar View Post
    tetraspis also looks fine. roots are healthy and media also looks good.

water them only when they become dry.
    Im no expert here, of course but to me it doesn't look OK the medium, too small bits in my opinion and it takes forever for it to dry (is still wet like for a week or so - in my environment a phal never stays that wet for 5 days or more). This pic I made this morning. I guess for repoting I should wait until is done with blooming, right? Or tetraspis is one of the orchids that do not like to be disturbed?

About the moss, Im ok with it, it even looks pretty. Just that I don't have that high humidity for it to thrive well and stay forever green. I was just thinking what gonna happen when it dies? Should I leave on the surface anyway?

Name:  rsz_wp_20170214_09_33_16_pro.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  78.8 KB

Real Name
    Karin

If it were me and I was not happy with the media for the phal I would repot it (actually I would transfer it to water culture). I have several species phals that I recently bought and I immediately took out of the media. One - a cornu-cervi was in bud and it didn't affect it all. It continued on to bloom. I don't know about the Aerangis but knowing me I would take it out and put it in water culture. I have been looking for a biloba to do just that.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Both are growing nicely and look very healthy. I concur with Seriram.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Too small bits may be because of smaller size bark. Takes forever to dry could work in your favor as it would require less watering. How is your relative humidity and temperature in your grow area?.

I would leave the moss as is.

Quote Originally Posted by theflowerbread View Post
    Im no expert here, of course but to me it doesn't look OK the medium, too small bits in my opinion and it takes forever for it to dry (is still wet like for a week or so - in my environment a phal never stays that wet for 5 days or more). This pic I made this morning. I guess for repoting I should wait until is done with blooming, right? Or tetraspis is one of the orchids that do not like to be disturbed?

About the moss, Im ok with it, it even looks pretty. Just that I don't have that high humidity for it to thrive well and stay forever green. I was just thinking what gonna happen when it dies? Should I leave on the surface anyway?

Name:  rsz_wp_20170214_09_33_16_pro.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  78.8 KB

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

Quote Originally Posted by ksriramkumar View Post
    Takes forever to dry could work in your favor as it would require less watering. How is your relative humidity and temperature in your grow area?.
    That'd be great of course - less time for watering more time for other things haha. Kidding. I am worried the roots will get rotten like this. But maybe this is a good substrate for our hot and humid summers when I have to water my orchs more frequently.
    Current temps and humidity in my growth area is about 20..21°C and around 50%, when humidifyer is running - max 53%. Summers are hot and humid (actually we have a/c on mind but I'm worried then it's gonna be too dry for many of them).

At the end I repotted the aerangis as I did not like its substrate, it stayed too moist as well and I read aerangis in general like well drained substrate.
    It had some new root tips and one areal root started to grow. The new substrate is pure bark. I hope it will like its new home.

Name:  rsz_wp_20170223_20_42_43_pro.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  rsz_wp_20170223_20_42_58_pro.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  64.2 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

It seems to be growing a new root and keep a close watch on the new root growth. if roots are doing ok, then we should be ok.