Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repotting, Oncidium, bark or bark and sphag

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Default Repotting, Oncidium, bark or bark and sphag

I have a Gilded Tower Mystic Maze. It's new to me (Sat) and seems healthy (6 nice looking p-bulbs). The missus bumped the spike against something carrying it in from the car, and we lost a bloom. This morning, I had the windows open and it was blown off of the table that it was on (need a heavy decorative pot to put it in). Several blooms broke (never expected them to be brittle). I don't think it will be too long before I am ready to cut the spike and repot. I can't really see what's in the pot it's in now, but the top looks mossy. This is in an apt, so the AC will keep the environment pretty dry. I've read that these like to stay a little moist (I guess like a Phal?) unlike my Catt that would prefer to go dry before watering. If that's the case, should I use a mix of bark and sphag to help hold in more water?

And how do you know what size bark to get?

Thanks!

Oncidiums have thin roots which don't like to be too dry, so you'll want to go with small size bark. Plants with thinner roots usually prefer smaller bark, and plants with thick roots like a coarser mix. If overwatering is a concern for you, you could use a mixture small and medium bark. I don't like to use sphag at all, but if you tend to underwater your plants, adding a little bit would help keep the roots from getting too dry. I see a lot of Oncidiums being grown in pure shpagnum, but that isn't for me. I grow my Oncidiums in a mix of fine bark, sponge rock, and charcoal. I'm more likely to overwater than to underwater, so this is a good mix for me because it is fast drying, but still holds moisture. The roots seem to enjoy it.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Thanks. I'm afraid (but not sure) that I might have a tendency to over water. Hopefully, that will keep me vigilent and I won't.

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

Good advise from "jsehorn"! Just remember what works for jsehorn in his environment might not work for yours, if you have a nursery anywhere close by you can ask them or other orchid hobbyist in your area to see what works for them, a good place would be a local orchid society.

Personally I use medium grade for all of my orchids that are not mounted and make a my own mix on what I have learned works well for those that are in pots. I don't add sphag to my mix. I have as many mounted as possible with the amount of orchids I have, repotting every 2 years would take me forever if I did not mount.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Thanks, Jack. Will do

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

It is always a balancing act between water, media, container and environment. There will always be a range that works with one, with adjustments as necessary with the others. All 4 species that went into this hybrid like frequent water but not constant moisture. The media should be fast draining and well aerated. Mounting or growing in shallow pans is sometimes recommended. The recommendation for a mix with (lots of) sponge rock and charcoal is a good one, but I'd go for a medium bark especially if you think you tend to overwater. No sphagnum. Ideally it would be the kind of mix you could water every day when it is warm but it would be nearly dry the next day.

Brascidostele Gilded Tower 'Mystic Maze' is vigorous grower that tolerates a wide temperature and light range. Good choice.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Lots of good info coming in Kirk and folks. Thanks tons! Keep it coming. I'm going to a local Orchid shop tomorrow. I'm hoping they've got some good stuff for media and fertilizer, and maybe some pots (and maybe an orchid )

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by notsogreenthumb View Post
    Lots of good info coming in Kirk and folks. Thanks tons! Keep it coming. I'm going to a local Orchid shop tomorrow. I'm hoping they've got some good stuff for media and fertilizer, and maybe some pots (and maybe an orchid )
    I sense a full-blown addiction kicking in...

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by notsogreenthumb View Post
    I get the feeling Steve that it is probably a good thing that you don't have a lot of room as an addiction is about to start!

---------- Post Merged at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PaphMadMan View Post
    I sense a full-blown addiction kicking in...
    I get the same feeling Kirk! We do such a good job of turning people into orchid addicts!

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    I get the feeling Steve that it is probably a good thing that you don't have a lot of room as an addiction is about to start!

---------- Post Merged at 10:56 AM ----------

I get the same feeling Kirk! We do such a good job of turning people into orchid addicts!

Enabling orchid addicts is our job! We love our work!