Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Did I Get an Orchid With a Fungal Infection?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Alex
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Default Did I Get an Orchid With a Fungal Infection?

Hey all,

Picked up a Bnfd. Gilded Tower 'Mystic Maze' yesterday from a local grower. Some of the leaves have black spots on them, and two of the leaves have turned yellow around the black spots. The grower suggested this particular plant to me, so I figured it was perhaps some burn from being too close to light, but I did a bit of research and now I'm concerned. Is this a fungus that could spread to my soon-to-arrive orchids? Help!

Pictures:
    Name:  Orchid One.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  122.7 KB
    Name:  orchid3.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  119.7 KB
    Name:  orchid2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  127.7 KB

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

I'm thinking is fungal if I were you I will cut the affected leaves is common for the soft leaf. The rest of the leaves looks better and you can spray with fungicide.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Yeah...it's likely fungal. Oncidium alliance plants are very susceptible to "black spots" fungus. They need lots of air movement. I use a fungicide on mine regularly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Alex
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Crud. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

It’s about to bloom - do I wait until afterward to cut the leaves?

And what fungicide should I use? How quarantined from my other plants should this be? I’m in an apartment so it could be kinda tough...any ideas?

---------- Post Merged at 11:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
    Crud. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

It’s about to bloom - do I wait until afterward to cut the leaves?

And what fungicide should I use? How quarantined from my other plants should this be? I’m in an apartment so it could be kinda tough...any ideas?
    And while I'm at it...just about every leaf on the plant is showing some amount of these spots. If I cut them all off, It may just have 2 leaves. Should I just return the thing? I'm really disappointed that they'd sell me the orchid like this.

I wouldn't cut anything. Treat it with fungicide and make sure there's plenty of air movement first. That should take care of it. If it continues to spread even after that, then you might considering removing some of the affected leaves, but I'd save that for last resort.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Using Sue Bottom's guide to orchid pests and diseases at the Saint Augustine Orchid Society website, I'd say it was a pseudomonas bacterial infection.

I highly recommend folks download and keep a local copy of Sue's Guide

Real Name
    Alex
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Using Sue Bottom's guide to orchid pests and diseases at the Saint Augustine Orchid Society website, I'd say it was a pseudomonas bacterial infection.
    That's a great guide, thanks.

Does it change anyone's opinion that it's an oncidium? I posted in another forum and the response there was, "those spots always happen to oncidiums unless they're in perfect conditions, it's not fungal, and it is unlikely to spread to your other plants." Is there a test or any way to confirm?

Oncidiums, with their soft, thin leaves, are especially susceptible to various things which cause spotting on the leaves. I don't think the spots on your leaves are the blacks spots which appear in high light. They are too large and irregular. I do think it is the result of some type of infection, but I don't think you need to worry too much about it, because I think with proper culture, the problem will resolve naturally. The spots won't go away, but I don't think it will spread aggressively. I think treating it with a bactericide or fungicide would be a good thing to do just to make sure, but I don't think it is strictly necessary at this point. If you choose to do this, I think Physan 20 would be a good choice. It's a good idea to keep that on hand, because it is useful in a variety of situations. If you don't have that and don't want to buy it, treating the leaves with hydrogen peroxide might be helpful. It is true, however, that Oncidiums and their relatives just tend to have spotty leaves, and I don't think you need to be terribly worried.

Real Name
    Alex
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsehorn View Post
    Oncidiums, with their soft, thin leaves, are especially susceptible to various things which cause spotting on the leaves. I don't think the spots on your leaves are the blacks spots which appear in high light. They are too large and irregular. I do think it is the result of some type of infection, but I don't think you need to worry too much about it, because I think with proper culture, the problem will resolve naturally. The spots won't go away, but I don't think it will spread aggressively. I think treating it with a bactericide or fungicide would be a good thing to do just to make sure, but I don't think it is strictly necessary at this point. If you choose to do this, I think Physan 20 would be a good choice. It's a good idea to keep that on hand, because it is useful in a variety of situations. If you don't have that and don't want to buy it, treating the leaves with hydrogen peroxide might be helpful. It is true, however, that Oncidiums and their relatives just tend to have spotty leaves, and I don't think you need to be terribly worried.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the input. I’ve got a bottle of Physan 20 on the way, and I’ll be taking your advice. Very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

it's now a year later LunchBox, how's that Oncidium doing today?

---------- Post Merged at 11:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post

I highly recommend folks download and keep a local copy of Sue's Guide
    Great resource Ray, just found this thread and downloaded Sue's Guide immediately.