Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: New Psychopis

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

Default New Psychopis

Morning all. I have a couple new Psychopis plants in spike; I am really excited about this!

I was wondering if other people typically stake these. Right now they are about 18" and they look fairly stiff and sturdy. Do they keep getting longer and longer and need some help?

And what's the deal with the light for them? Some places I read to grow them with phals, and others say much more light. Why does orchid advice on the web have to be so contradictory?!

Thanks!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

We bloomed ours to death, so take this advise as you will: We grew the psychopis right along with the oncidiums. Same water, fert, and light. The spike can get very long. 3'+ We finally tied it up so that we would not break it off when watering. The cool thing about a psychopis is that the spike is stiff enough to support the bloom and as it moves in circulating air, it looks like a butterfly fluttering around.

Cheers!
    BD

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I actually grow mine in oncidium light, with phal watering. I have learned after breaking off two spikes to stake mine. They don't need it to hold themselves up, but it keeps them straight and it keeps me from breaking them. What kind do you have? I have Kahili, Mendenhall, papilio, papilio aurea, papilio alba, versteegianum, kramerianum... ummm I think I'm leaving someone out. Anyway - - congrats on yours and be sure to post pictures.

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

I have two Mendenhall 'Monarch's. My original plan was to get two of the same and pot them together for a more substantial looking plant (immediate gratification issues) but then I read how they don't like to be repotted.

I have them in my 'phal corner'; sounds like I had better find them a place near the oncids today.

No flowers, but they are already such interesting plants with their stiff plasticy leaves and funny pbulbs. Orchids are so amazing in their variations--and I have only ventured into phals, oncidium alliance and some catts (well, a handful of paphs and phrags, too).

I also grow mine in Oncidium light.
    I do stake mine as well but with wires , the spikes are pretty brittle & break very easily.The new spike on my papilio has had the spike broken twice by accident but it,s still growing.

I just got a versteegianum, and like Mehera am very curious - this is my first Psychopsis also. My spike is about a foot long. And the leaves are the coolest!

Do you see any differences in culture or blooming season amongst your tribe, Diane?

Julie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Yes, a fair amount of variation in the leaves - green, green/lightgreen mottled, lightgreen/lightbrown mottled. As the plants get older the spikes get bigger and thicker, although the Kahili and Mendenhall are bigger than the papilio and the versteegianum.