B. cucullata ranges through a number of warmer regions of Mexico south through Central America and various islands in the West Indies and Caribbean. Just like B. nodosa, this orchid is night fragrant, although not generally as strongly as B. nodosa. the scent is also different... different enough that my wife likes the fragrance of this orchid, but despises that of B. nodosa.

This photo was taken last summer just after acquiring this orchid, so I don't know for sure if the yellowish color is due to flower age or a general difference in coloration...most photos I've seen tend to show a pinkish to reddish cast to the flowers. One interesting aspect of this flower is the fact that the pedicel (the stem that connects the flower to the flowering stem, containing the ovary) is extremely long and thick on this flower, extending the spidery flowers well out into midair from the plant.

Not a very large plant with very slender pseudobulbs and terete leaves, my plant has struggled through the loss of several new growths to rots while indoors, I now have one nearly mature growth and two just starting... here's hoping I get new "spikes" ("thingies" for you botanical purists) soon.

Enjoy!

---Prem