Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Rhynchonopsis Selina Kuok "Perfume Queen"

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default Rhynchonopsis Selina Kuok "Perfume Queen"

Name:  Rhynchonopsis-Selina-Kuok.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  80.5 KB

This "man-made" genus consists of hybrids bewteen Rhynchostylis ( in this case R.gigantea) and Phalaenopsis , in this case P.hygrochilus, and if that is a species you have not met before, it used to be in its own genus - Hygrochilus , but that was merged into Phalaenopsis. I have seen that species in the wild, in Thailand. Very much like other species has , like speciosa, heiroglyphica tc, with 2inch or so roundish very waxy long-lived flowers in a short spike, the leaves differing from most other phals being vee shaped in cross-section ( conduplicate) more like Rhyncho's.
    These two species have been crossed and back-crossed more than once, so that the hybrid is about ¾ or even ⅞ Rhyncho and the remainder the Phal.

I bought this in March/April and showed it then with the flowers it had ; these flowers now shown are from my culture - I expect/hope it will do better, more flowers, when better established. No scent, to my imperfect nose, maybe it need sunshine, or maybe it needs tropical heat to produce that.

The colour on my screen is true ; on cloudy dull days, it is almost black, in bright sunlight a dark crimson/purple.

There are two other examples of this hybrid shown in Orchidwiz, but both are much nearer the Rhnchostylis parent in colouring - creamy white with pink spots and blotches - so this is very much a one-off. The colour is what my mother who was born in the 19th century) called mourning - very appropriate, as my wife is in hospital expected to last only hours or days. Taking pics and posting helps to keep my mind off these sad things.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Geoff, first of all my heart goes out to you and I'm sending warm virtual hugs to you. I'm so sorry to hear your wife is in her last hours of life. Your devotion has been so commendable.

Secondly this is a fabulous orchid! I would love to have one like this for my collection! Enjoy your orchids and know my thoughts are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Name:  Rhynchonopsis-Selina-Kuok.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  80.5 KB

This "man-made" genus consists of hybrids bewteen Rhynchostylis ( in this case R.gigantea) and Phalaenopsis , in this case P.hygrochilus, and if that is a species you have not met before, it used to be in its own genus - Hygrochilus , but that was merged into Phalaenopsis. I have seen that species in the wild, in Thailand. Very much like other species has , like speciosa, heiroglyphica tc, with 2inch or so roundish very waxy long-lived flowers in a short spike, the leaves differing from most other phals being vee shaped in cross-section ( conduplicate) more like Rhyncho's.
    These two species have been crossed and back-crossed more than once, so that the hybrid is about ¾ or even ⅞ Rhyncho and the remainder the Phal.

I bought this in March/April and showed it then with the flowers it had ; these flowers now shown are from my culture - I expect/hope it will do better, more flowers, when better established. No scent, to my imperfect nose, maybe it need sunshine, or maybe it needs tropical heat to produce that.

The colour on my screen is true ; on cloudy dull days, it is almost black, in bright sunlight a dark crimson/purple.

There are two other examples of this hybrid shown in Orchidwiz, but both are much nearer the Rhnchostylis parent in colouring - creamy white with pink spots and blotches - so this is very much a one-off. The colour is what my mother who was born in the 19th century) called mourning - very appropriate, as my wife is in hospital expected to last only hours or days. Taking pics and posting helps to keep my mind off these sad things.

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

My thoughts are with you as well during this difficult time Geoff.

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

My thoughts are with you also. Losing a close loved one is very hard even when you know it is coming.

Susan

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

The kindness of friends adds a glow of warmth during these dark and difficult days