Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

things are looking good there,a spike still to arrive.The browning that is visabile is normal.Some of us remove the brown sheathing at this stage,but I dont bother.

Just as Murray said, Tami, your growth is fine. It's not the growth that's browned - it's its wrapping paper. The growth looks fine. You can peel that browned skin off if you choose, just do so carefully, making sure not to tear away anything that really wants to stick.

If you're prone to mealies or other burrowing critters, then definitely keep it peeled back. They love to form small cities under the cover of wrappings like that.

Otherwise your growth looks wonderfully healthy! Remember that some Catts will set spikes quickly on new sheaths. Others will take a rest for 3-4 months. Then just as you give up hope, the spike pops out! Don't give up on regular watering and fertilizing. That will ensure healthy buds and blooms.

McJulie

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Murray and McJulie! The bud sheath has been in place for about 2 months. I'm not expecting much because she's so young, but it is exciting to watch her grow!

Ok, back to the silliness.... been rollerblading lately, McJulie?

Oh yeah, Tami!

I'm getting in shape for the WOC in 2008!

McJulie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Question

Sorry, just thought I would ask a question that has sort of been growing in my head from reading about catts etc.

The brown wrapping paper sheath (as McPiper so nicely describes it in this thread) stuff, are there any overwhelming reasons as to why you should leave it on, or remove it? (apart from Mealie attacks). I have been reading as many posts as possible on catts (due to new purchases) and I would like to find out more. It's the sort of thing that most culture sheets on the internet do not cover. I think on the RV website there was a photo guide which involved removing the brown sheath, but I wasn't sure if this was because it made the plant look nicer overall.

So can anyone out there provide some opinion on the subject?

And by the way Tami, how did your catts do?

Thank you all

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

they potentially can have pests hiding in them.... they aren't difficult to remove on catts, and the plants look better once they are removed. For any orchid show they would be removed to make the plants look clean and neat. Also removing them provides more surface area for photosynthesis which is useful especially for windowsill growers. In nature the winds and rains would naturally remove some of the dead sheaths. They serve no more use to the mature growths.

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for asking, Kerry. Pearl still has her (flat) green sheath and has begun and new pbulb. Otaara Jane has produced another pbulb and sheath but still no blooms. I'm beginning to believe that the light is too low.
    But AHHA!!! My wonderful husband has built me an orchid house!!!! Just moved the babies in today.
    Post pics later.
    Back to your questions. Ditto Smartie. Consider the orchids in the wild, though. No one is there to clean and groom the orchids. So, it seems to me, it's just a matter of grooming and ease of care. Your choice. Kind of reminds me of the cleaner wrasse at the fish cleaning stations.

Tami, I had a dendrobium that set buds and then languished for months and over to the next year. When it set new buds the next year I sent it to a friends for greenhouse treatment. This mostly increased the humidity. It finally set the spike. When I brought it home it put out one flower and then proceded to blast the rest of the buds. Again, I think low humidity played a major role in this.

Maybe yours is looking for some humidity?

Oh, and if I want an orchid house I have to build it MYSELF!!!!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tmai View Post
    But AHHA!!! My wonderful husband has built me an orchid house!!!! Just moved the babies in today.
    Post pics later. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
    I'll meet your and raise it to a

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOrchid View Post
    Oh, and if I want an orchid house I have to build it MYSELF!!!!
    you are not the only one Steven - I would need to build one myself too... Mr Kerry just doesn't seem to be too interested

Thanks Fren and Tami for answering question regarding sheaths

Hi Kerry,

I'm slow to respond because I'm about 90 threads behind again...alas!

I just wanted to clarify that the brown wrapping paper part, while it is a sheath of sorts, wouldn't be called a sheath. The sheath is the part where the spike emerges if it deigns to. If you refer to the wrapping paper as a sheath, some folks might misunderstand what you mean.