Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Epi. ilense

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Epi. ilense

This species was originally discovered in a remote forest in mountainous Ecuador in 1977. The Marie Selby Institute in Sarasota, FL (both famous and infamous for its wild orchid collection) first obtained the species. When collectors went back six years later, deforestation of the area had obliterated all traces of this species in the wild.

Thought to be extinct in the wild for years after that, two small populations have recently been discovered in Ecuador. They're not expected to survive unless efforts to protect their habitat are strengthened - they enjoy conditions favorable to banana culture, and bananas are a highly profitable crop for Ecuadorian farmers.

Ilense is unusual for an Epidendrum, since it's free-flowering throughout the year and will bloom off old spikes. The flower is highly fimbriated, similar to the lip of a Brassavola (or Rhyncholaelia) digbyana.

I've had this plant for nearly three years and had given up on being able to flower it. It's mounted and I assumed I just couldn't offer it the humidity it wanted. About a year ago I read it enjoys fairly high light levels (I had previously read that it didn't want much light - lots of conflicting info on its culture!), so I moved it into my brighter room. It grew very slowly after that. This week I tossed my frequently watered plants into the shower (to water them) before I went away for a couple of days. I forgot they were there before I left. When I got back the spike and buds were present!!!

I guess it really does prefer less light, so back it goes into the Paph. room! I'm very excited this mule has finally deigned to grace us with its flowers! I'll post pics as they open.

Julie
    Attached Images Attached Images