Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
Presumably a successive flowered. I love the story about when P.liemannii was first discovered, and the collector wrote to the great Fred Sanders saying that it could have 30 flowers, based on examination of old flower stems ; but that Sander was not to say that unless he added “ one after the other, with maybe days or weeks between each two successive ones “.
Needless to say ( based on my own experiences with the Sander family when they were still in business in UK - long gone, now ). Sander did nothing of the sort, and advertised it, as amazing new Paph species ( he called it a Cyprepedium, the genus was only changed in my early orchid days ) With multiple flowers. Orchid importations from jungle collections were sold by auction, and realised enormous prices , in some cases being the equivalent in 21st century terms of thousands of dollars, pounds, euros, whatever. He really cleaned up on this one.of course those were the days of orchid mania, and orchids were the flowers of the very rich, not for ordinary folk - I was going to say like you and me, but I don’t know you - maybe you are all Bill Gates or his mates.....
Ha ha Geoff very interesting story and I agree with you "Orchid Mania" don't mine to spent large amount of money as long as you can get them in your collection..super duper addiction. Ha Ha I'm ordinary man really crazy for wild orchids not that very rich but so so....now orchids are no longer for rich people anybody can grow as long as they know their requirement. Bravo Geoff.