Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: I'm so proud of myself

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default I'm so proud of myself

I mounted my first orchid on a slab of bark today! I'm doing the happy dance. I thought it would be so hard, but it was quite easy. It isn't lined up the way I wanted, but oh well. In the wilderness orchids just find a place to grow, whether it be perfectly in line with a tree or not. I 'm so excited!

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

OT, in my humble opinion, mounting orchids on bark or a cork slab is the best way to display them: you really get the idea of what they look like "out there," beyond our pots and our ideas of what makes a "good houseplant.' Good for you!

So here's some advice (maybe you didn't want any but I'm giving you some just the same...)

I don't know how you mounted it (that pic you promised???) but, a little sphagnum moss tucked between the plant and the mounting works wonders. It helps keep the plant moist so you don't have to water it every day, (otherwise, without moisture-retaining medium to grow in, you will have to water the plant constantly to keep it thriving...) and sphagnum is a natural fungicide as well.

About running a fan on your growing area: it does wonders in terms of keeping pests and diseases down, and the plants seem to just downright *like it*. Just remember that all of that air movement will dry things up faster, so keep an eye on your media's moisture retention.

I see a greenhouse going up really soon here......

I put the sphag moss on top of the roots, it was suggested to me so that the roots have a better chance of attaching to the medium. I have to see if I can charge my batteries for the cam. I mounted my oncidium Barbie also, it is so wild!!

I also spent a whopping 5 bucks for a 5 inch fan for the room these ones are in I figure it will give the air *just* enough movement.