Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mounted plants in the home

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattlea, Phalaenopsis, Paphs

Quote Originally Posted by clintdawley View Post
    I don't think so. If the plant doesn't have any roots, it's more likely to rot in a pot than mounted. If you can keep the humidity high and water or spritz the plant daily, the rapid drying associated with mounting an orchid will help keep the plant from rotting.

I do this with cattleya divisions. I leave them bare root on a shelf (in probably Phal light levels) until new roots sprout and then I pot them. Every day the division gets a slight dunk in rooting hormone water (1 drop of superthrive in a quart of water) and then returned to the shelf to dry.

I say..if it doesn't have any roots..why not go ahead and mount it if you want? It's more likely to survive than in a pot that holds more water.
    Haha, I suppose I asked too much for the care of the rootless plants!

No, this plant have roots. It was a cutting of Dend, and now is in a pot but is not very stabile although have enough of rootage. I think I'll mount it. I already have one mounted Epi which is happy!

Many Dens do well mounted, because they don't mind drying out between waterings. Just be aware that they will dry out more quickly and can't take long dry periods, or low humidity very well.

McJulie

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattlea, Phalaenopsis, Paphs

That isn't problem. I'm mistig them 2 times at day, and humidity is very high!

Real Name
    Valerie
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Catt, Dend, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Default mounting with sphag

Question... since sphag is so loose, could you get the plant & sphag positioned, use some fishing line to sort of hold it, then use a piece of pantyhose or onion/potato mesh bag to hold everything in place??

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob

Cool! Judi

Sure thing, Val! That's a great way to secure mounted plants. I wrap sphag, or sheet moss (the sheet moss doesn't hold as much moisture, but is much easier to work with on mounts) to help retain root moisture on mounted plants in my home (since I don't have greenhouse humidity).

Aleksa, don't assume a humid environment makes up for watering needs. They're two different things and fussy plants want the right amount of each.

McJulie

Real Name
    Rebecca Luce
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya!!
    Member's Country Flag

I've never thought of using panty hose! Brilliant! I have some mounted plants from a reputable CA grower and the plants' roots are just secured with fishing line; they don't really look like they need much else...just make sure you wrap them well with the fishing line, and you should be okay! :-)

My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cats, but love 'em all!

I have 5 mounted (3 bought, 2 I mounted) and have had mixed luck. All are in the greenhouse with 40-50% humidity and get sprayed off at least once a day. My Citrina (bare root) looks good, lots of bulbs and leaves and roots all around wood, but no blooms in 3 years. My tiny little Mexican Laelia has a tiny bit of original moss (sure it needs to be replaced) and always looks thirsty but had 2 5" stems with a total of 10 blooms a month ago. One of the Dens (also bare root) bloomed last year but looks sickly this year. How often and how do you fertilize your mounts? - lynda

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lyngarc View Post
    I have 5 mounted (3 bought, 2 I mounted) and have had mixed luck. All are in the greenhouse with 40-50% humidity and get sprayed off at least once a day. My Citrina (bare root) looks good, lots of bulbs and leaves and roots all around wood, but no blooms in 3 years. My tiny little Mexican Laelia has a tiny bit of original moss (sure it needs to be replaced) and always looks thirsty but had 2 5" stems with a total of 10 blooms a month ago. One of the Dens (also bare root) bloomed last year but looks sickly this year. How often and how do you fertilize your mounts? - lynda

for the Citrina the 40 - 50 % humidity is not high enough, over the past 12 mths my greenhouse has not dropped below 70%.Watering is done by misting the plant 3 times per day 3 times per week for 2minuites at a time and 2 times per day for 2 muites for the other days.On top of that the plants get fertilized about twice weekly from spring to early winterfrom a hand held waterer/fertilzer wand.

the above scheduale will be toooo much water for the Mexican Laelia

Hope this helps you

My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cats, but love 'em all!

Orchid-man!
    Yes, it helps! I only get to see my orchids on weekends and they tend to get treated the same way which, I well know, is why I'm lucky to get blooms now and again. I'll step up water on the Citrina and hopefully will make it happier. I can mist 2-3 times a day when I'm home and will ask my husband to pay a little more attention when I'm not there. How much is the right amount for the Laelia? Thanx -- lynda