Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: growing info for dendrophlax lindenii

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default growing info for dendrophlax lindenii

I have recently purchased a small "ghost orchid" and wonder if anyone has had success in the cultivation and care of this particular plant? I have heard that they require misting with crushed oyster shell infused water.
    Last edited by jule; December 8th, 2006 at 03:40 PM.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mystacidium
    Member's Country Flag

Yea, you can get fertilizers with calcium in them... Though, I would tend to think that the build up of that would not be particularly fantastic if you will. They do well with abundant light, and the ones at my local nursery are just sitting in a vanda basket. There is even a cultivar of one that has curly roots there. On the subject of water, I would be swayed to give them non municipal water on the fact they have to do all their photosynthesis, respiration, etc through roots. External buildup on the roots from tap water or whatever else seems like it would be particulary bad. I could be wrong, so no quoting.

Hello Jule,

Glad you got this wonderful species! This species needs heat, full or near full sun, stagnant air, and plenty of humidity. Where you stick the plant in these conditions doesn't matter too much...

As for calcium for ghost orchid, I have not heard of this. Instead, I have heard of occasional banana feedings for them, as the growers also have Staghorn ferns (Platycerium sp.). Water rich in algae or just any water is good enough for this species; RO or distilled water will show no differences. For watering, try and water heavily during the summer months (keeping it wet at almost all times except for night), and during the winter months, keep the medium damp. When the plant gets mature, it can stay on the twig to grow, or placed on a larger mount, or put in a wood slat with sphagnum moss (which will retain nice amounts of moisture).

As for any mineral build up on roots from tap water, I have never observed this. In a single location here in Sarasota County, this species grows JUST above the hide tide level, perhaps getting some of the spray from the salt water. This species is more sensitive to light levels than anything else. Temperature isn't as important, as temps. in situ here in FL vary in the winter months without affecting the plants. Also, humidity can be replaced with a medium that retains an adequate amount of moisture (available moisture).

I hope this helps, hopefully your conditions will be suitable for this wonderful species!

-Pat

Question

Thank you for the info. Right now we have constructed a plexiglass enclosure approx. 18"x18"x18" with bark mudium pebbles on the bottom with orchid moss on top of pebbles, for moisture retention. also within this habitat are 2 rabbits foor ferns in pots. (just for company). this is located in my little growing room. approx.6'x8' w/7' ceiling. this room is climate controlled for light heat and moisture. this is whwere i house all the rest of my collection, such as it is. i'm just trying to simulate florida conditions as best as i can. Oh, the plexi box is also covered. any other sugggestions? using fluorescent lighting is this adequate?

Jule,

I hate to say this, but I am not an expert when it comes to lighting (here in FL, we have plenty of light) and terrarium related stuff. There are a few memebers that have really nice terrariums here that may be of more help...

Keep us updated though, it sounds great!

-Pat

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis & Catteleya
    Member's Country Flag

Wow that's a tough one. Not sure about the oyster shells