Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Phragmipedium peruvianum syn. kovachii

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Really awesome pictures of kovachii in situ, Kyle! Thanks for sharing these.

So the area where it is growing seems quite bright... however, the leaves are really dark green... so does this give an idea of how much light to give these plants, ie not much direct sun but lots of 'bright' light.

Also, what was the temps like? Is this cloud forest type of conditions or more like temperate but not lowland tropics...

cheers
    tim

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

outstanding pictures Kyle! always mind-blowing to see pictures of that flower size!

my two cents to this entire naming nonsense is the man KNEW it was illegal (any idiot who grows slippers knows you can't just bring in a new species) but wanted his name attached to this spectacular species. he got what he wanted and now has to deal with the consequences, along with everyone else who was involved. I have equal disdain for CITES itself as a moronic entity and ludicrous enforcement as it applies to orchids, but those are the rules, and he's being made an example of. OJ killed two people and got off scot free, punishment doesn't fit the crime, too bad so sad. you wanted that plant named after you, don't complain when you get nailed for it.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

So Jason - what would you think would make a great cross with that beauty?

LOL!

Paph. rothschildianum!

McJulie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    So Jason - what would you think would make a great cross with that beauty?
    might be one of those that has no bad hybrids (like paph roths) but hard to tell what happens if you crossed that purple orb with a caudatum type. the parvi x sanderianum crosses in paphland, while certainly impressive, lack any semblance of grace and are sometimes crippled.

that said, one would have to think that besseae x kovachii would be a can't-miss...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
    outstanding pictures Kyle! always mind-blowing to see pictures of that flower size!

my two cents to this entire naming nonsense is the man KNEW it was illegal (any idiot who grows slippers knows you can't just bring in a new species) but wanted his name attached to this spectacular species. he got what he wanted and now has to deal with the consequences, along with everyone else who was involved. I have equal disdain for CITES itself as a moronic entity and ludicrous enforcement as it applies to orchids, but those are the rules, and he's being made an example of. OJ killed two people and got off scot free, punishment doesn't fit the crime, too bad so sad. you wanted that plant named after you, don't complain when you get nailed for it.
    I have now double-checked. James Kovach *HAD* legal papers to bring in the new large flowering purple Phrag.... the Peru Gov. did in fact dispute the papers for some reason. I am not sure what records are left on these documents. There is more to this story than just importing a plant. I still question why Peru disputed and retracted the papers...

-P.A. Mahon

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Maybe Peru disputed because they wanted the species named after their country...Phragmipedium peruvianum .
    Still whenever a scientists find a new discovery there is a race to publish the discoveries first. Kovach won the race, even if it was only by days. ...My biology professor said that any scientist who doesn't publish is useless.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by smartie2000 View Post
    ...My biology professor said that any scientist who doesn't publish is useless.

Depends on the value and accuracy of what they publish.

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

But an inaccurate paper will still get referenced/quoted ;-) by other scientist to prove the paper wrong. Better than nothing. Scientists want to be referenced as much as possible to indicate their contribution. Of course accuracy is very valuable, unforutunately no study can be perfect all the time.
    ...good night

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

the story I heard was he bought the things off a roadside vendor and brought them back in short order. highly questionable how the Peruvian gov't would issue a permit for the plants to be exported. just doesn't make sense with the hot nature of slippers. If I were bringing that hot a plant back I'd want the @$^@ secretary of agriculture's john hancock on that permit. or just grow the thing quietly and forego naming it, but that's another story altogether.