Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Help with greenhouse purchase

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.

Default Help with greenhouse purchase

Hello folks, well I’ve looked through the old post and the new, and have made a tentative decision on my greenhouse purchase. Allison "SF bay Girl" (what a great Gal) was nice enough to give me a tour of her house and some advice, and take me to a local show and sale last week... I told her I didn’t have room for any more plants but that didn’t seem to stop her from "forcing" me to buy some more. Anyway here's what I have decided: Juliana "compact plus" greenhouse 9w x 14.5L x 7H, with 6mm siding. I’d like to go a little wider and a little longer but all the kits in this price range don't go any wider. I'm going to build a 2 FT. base foundation, so call it 9FT. high once complete. I think I can do the heating (n gas), and the swamp cooler, misters, foggers, and ventilation for another $2500 or so.
    OK now is the time to put in your two cents... and let me know now if this is a go or if you have other suggestions. I live in northern California, so our winters a not to harsh. I am a little concerned about the twin sliding doors; I don't think they are going to seal very well. I could go with the Juliana Premium greenhouse, same size
    But with 10mm siding and hinged door for $1000 more? Or is it worth dropping the big bucks and going for a BC Cross country in the size I want (12W x 16L) with 6mm siding for $2000 more? I haven’t seen any of these houses in person, so it’s hard to judge the quality of each on the internet.

Thanks again, Adam "The Newbie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

If you are going to spend more on anything, make it size. In No. Cal the weather isn't that harsh, unless you are up in the mountains. My mom grew orchids in her little greenhouse in Menlo Park for years with a little campstove type thing rigged as a heater... She was out of room after the first year...

I agree about the size issue. I have a 12' x 20' and it is tiny now. I understand about budget restrictions, however this may be the last time you build a greenhouse for a lot of years and you would hate to run out of space in 6 months.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

I third the motion... size is everything! (at least when it comes to grow-space!)

btw, what are you doing with shade? shade cloth? egg paint?

oh, and how exciting for you to be getting a greenhouse... I'm green with envy!

Quote Originally Posted by bench72 View Post
    oh, and how exciting for you to be getting a greenhouse... I'm green with envy!
    me too, congrats!

My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.

Thanks to all for your opinions, I’m going to rethink a few things and bounce it off you again in a month or so. After looking at a few of the posted pics of greenhouses on this forum, I think size is more important then I first thought.

Thank you Again, Adam