Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Rooting Hormone Selection

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Question Rooting Hormone Selection

Over a number of months Senior members have advised the use of different types rooting hormones for different situations. When I did a web search for rooting hormones I found a lot of different types products for increasing root growth. I became a little more confused (not difficult to do). The procucts seem to be combinations of these attributes; powder, liquid or gel; active hormones, nutrients (fertilizers?), vitamins and anti-microbials (to prevent fungi, bacteria and virus); rooting initiators and rooting enhancers.

We don't use product brand names in these forums, but what do you senior members look for in a product for different situations? Like which active ingredient(s) do you look for in a hormone, or what ballance of nutrients and vitamins in a booster? And why would also be helpful.

If you have a specific product you use for particular situations, feel free to PM them to me, but I think there are other neophytes, like myself who would get a lot out of your philosophy on making your decisions.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

We can use product names, just not retailer names. I use Rootone powder for when I repot or divide. I use KLN rooting liquid for plants after transplanting if they don't show roots in a couple weeks. I have not tried the gels yet. I think the main point for me is that the powder (and therefore probably the gels) stick to the plant and continue to encourage root growth while protecting the area from rot/fungus. The liquid I use as a booster when I don't want to unpot the plant to apply powder/gel.

I am sure different people use different products, it's a matter of personal preference.

Can the KLN be used as a foliar spray?

Rooting hormones can be used on orchids to promote root growth? Interesting, nerer even dawned on me that it might even be possible.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mark V View Post
    Can the KLN be used as a foliar spray?
    I'd have to research that... I use it when watering the 'usual' way, but if you do overhead watering, or foliar watering, I would think it would be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I'd have to research that... I use it when watering the 'usual' way, but if you do overhead watering, or foliar watering, I would think it would be okay.
    Still curious about my other question but what is KLN and if it is a rooting item, why would you use it as a foliar treatment?

Hey there Idaho, That was the advice given to me. A couple of months ago I tried dry Rootone powder on four different orchids that had significant root loss due to my overwatering. All four are still alive, so it didn't hurt anything.

I cut off all the old dead roots, cleaned the bottom of the plants central mass (I think it might be called the crown, but I'm not sure) with a vegetable scrub brush till I could see green or white tissue, then washed the area with 3% hydrogen peroxide to prevent fungus or rot, then dusted the area liberaly with Rootone. I soaked fine grade bark for a couple of hours, drained it and used a rhizome clip to hold the plants securly to the medium because there weren't enough roots for the plant too hold itself down. I have misted the plants daily since. An oncidium noid reacted very well and has since bloomed. A zygo has lost five of 14 shoots but has turned the corner and started to improve. The dendrobium amy be sleeping of in a coma, I'm not sure which. And the psychopsis is growing leaves but not putting out any roots.

I studied up on rooting preparations on line when all this started and it seems there are hormones used to initiate root growth and special diet ferilizers for boosting root growth. The boosters seem to have a very dilute ballance around 3-9-3 with extra micro-nutrients and vitamin B-12.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOrchid View Post
    Still curious about my other question but what is KLN and if it is a rooting item, why would you use it as a foliar treatment?
    You can google KLN and get more details, it is the name brand of a liquid rooting hormone. Plants absorb liquid through their leaves, as well as their roots. Some people feed and treat their plants by spraying the fertilizer or rooting mixture onto the leaves, instead of pouring it into the pot.

The active ingredient in root stimulators is: indole-3-butyric acid. It's synthetic, but is preferred over the natural plant growth regulators because it doesn't break down as quickly.

Be aware that you can't stimulate plants to do everything at once. They're a bit attention deficitted. If you want roots, you may postpone foliage and blooms; vice versa. But when roots are your priority, go for the rooting hormone. I apply it directly to what roots remain, but foliar spraying may also be effective. I'd research how the chemicals are taken up to be sure.

McJulie