Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Paphiopedilum Fumimasa Sugiyama

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Paphiopedilum Fumimasa Sugiyama

Hi Heather!

Here is the pic of my platyphyllum x sanderianum hybrid. Previously called Sander's Pride and since it was made with stonei var latifolium 'Ruth Kennedy', it is now its own species called platyphyllum and the hybrid is now called Paphiopedilum Fumimasa Sugiyama. I bought this wonderful Paph hybrid about a year ago and the LS is about 18-20 inches. Very slow growing plant and I can't wait for it to bloom! The blooms should look very similar to a cross between Kolosand and Sander's Pride.

Pic is not that great as you know it had been raining all day today and still dark and gloomy here. It is one of my few favorite multifloral Paph hybrids.

Default Now *that's* a mouthful!!

Hi Peter! (and anyone else who might take a peek!)

Very nicely grown plant you have there! Quite large for two slow growing parents, no? Looks very healthy and I like the rigid leaves. Beautiful! So, the sun did not stay out? We are finally clear here now, but since I've said that I'd expect thunder clouds *any* minute now! Did I tell you my haynaldianum has a new leaf?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks and Congrats on your new hay leaf!

Yes, the sun did shine again but went back into hiding again behind the clouds, so back to being very dark again.

Yes, the plant is very healthy but very slow growing and yes both the parents are slow growers but I think platy maybe a little faster growing species. I have 2 stoneis of different parentages and one is extremely slow growing and the other is faster growing. The faster one has now exceeded much greater in size! So, it all depends on the individual plant but you already know that most of these multiflorals are very slow growing plants.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

People tell me that some stoneis grow fine, and others barely grow at all. I saw a bunch of stonei latifolium (before they were called platyphyllum) at Parkside a few years back, and they looked very vigorous and healthy. But then again, most of their paphs look that way. I still think platy is a better grower than stonei though, overall. Good sources tell me that platy, or at least the famous clone 'Ruth Kennedy', abhors light. And my Fumimasa is a light green even though I keep it next to my mottled-leaf paphs.

There's an interesting story behind the naming of wossner sandplat (fumimasa sugiyama). The person who first created that cross (not franz glanz, surprisingly enough) attempted to register a name with the RHS, only to be told that they did not accept platyphyllum as a legitimate species. Less than 3 months later, Sir Phillip Cribb of Worcestershire was somehow convinced by the good people at Orchids Ltd. that platyphyllum was a legitimate species, and the RHS accepted their name of Fumimasa Sugiyama, *originator unknown*, and they specifically advertised the name as a "final decision, no changes permitted". God save the queen, but I couldn't care less about the RHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    There's an interesting story behind the naming of wossner sandplat (fumimasa sugiyama). The person who first created that cross (not franz glanz, surprisingly enough) attempted to register a name with the RHS, only to be told that they did not accept platyphyllum as a legitimate species. Less than 3 months later, Sir Phillip Cribb of Worcestershire was somehow convinced by the good people at Orchids Ltd. that platyphyllum was a legitimate species, and the RHS accepted their name of Fumimasa Sugiyama, *originator unknown*, and they specifically advertised the name as a "final decision, no changes permitted". God save the queen, but I couldn't care less about the RHS.
    *VERY* interesting... taxonomists!!!