Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: paph armeniacum what to do with it?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Just an idea on the orange powder... perhaps it is an accumulation of salts (from fertilizers)? I never use fertilizers, but if you do, try and stay away from all NO3 fertilizers, as they can cause many problems with your plant. The ultimate result of using fertilzers with NO3 is death in Paphiopedilum...

-Pat

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I won't be able to spray it with any fungicides at the moment because I don't have any. I'll have to buy several pest treatment products soon.

I don't think the orange powder is any of my fertilizer because nothing I use is that colour and I try to never get water into those areas. I would think it contains iron or fungal spores. Maybe from its previous owner? I won't be fertilizing my paph armeniacum soon.

Anyways I just bought new fertilizer that contains 10.49% nitrate (NO3) and 9.41% ammoniacal nitrogen. No urea. ...The nitrate worries me a little on my other paphs. I bought it because these nitrogen compounds were supposed to be faster acting than urea on orchid media. How does nitrate kill a Paph?

I am unsure how the nitrate fertilizer kills a Paphiopedilum. I was told by Xavier Garreu de Loubresse to avoid NO3 fertilizers for Paphs., as it will cause many defficiencies, with the ultimate result being death of the plant. Being that it's XPGDL, there will be supporting research and analysis upon nitrate fertilizer use on Paphiopedilums. XPGDL is reknown for his superb and complete Paphiopedilum collection, and his studies, research, and analysis upon cultivation of the genus.

-Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mahon View Post
    I never use fertilizers,

-Pat
    OK, so how does the plant get the nutrients that they need to support leaf growth and flower and whatever?

Also, is nitrate OK for other orchids? I know urea is not usable. Is ammoniacal nitrogen the only thing recommended?

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

...these are tough questions!

You've got connections Pat! I've read about Xavier but I don't know much about his reseach. He is also a young orchid hobbyist in Paris I believe

The Parvis are particularly insensitive to fertilizer. I've fert-burned a number of them. I leave them alone more than any other Paph section.

They tend to do well with no fert, but will allow occassional natural additives to their potting mixture. I'm not the most experienced with the voodoo recipes, so I'll leave that for others. I use very dilute fert and kelp extract every couple of months, and add crushed egg shells and epsom salts for calcium and magnesium.

McJulie

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOrchid View Post
    OK, so how does the plant get the nutrients that they need to support leaf growth and flower and whatever?

Also, is nitrate OK for other orchids? I know urea is not usable. Is ammoniacal nitrogen the only thing recommended?
    A plant in cultivation doesn't HAVE to have fertilizer. Nutrients can be obtained in many ways, such as Julie suggested (egg shells, epsom salt, etc.). I like to use humus for my Paphiopedilum and Phragmipedium plants, which contain symbiotic fungi and other nutrients. I also like to water some of my orchids with algae.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie2000 View Post
    I've read about Xavier but I don't know much about his reseach. He is also a young orchid hobbyist in Paris I believe
    XPGDL did some research on coconut milk being benificial for orchid seedlings (natural endosperms, mentioned in 'Orchid Fever')... also, he has had many analysis done upon lime, fertilizer, and media. He has also done the original research upon the detrimental effects of using coconut pieces as media for Paphiopedilum (the salts aren't the actual issue...)

-Pat

OK, time for an update on this plant, smartie. Thumbs up or thumbs down, we wanna know what has happened.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

stinks about the plant, sometimes they will just do that to you. I actually haven't seen too many Maudiae x parvi around, much FEWER than Maudiae x brachy, which can often produced crippled flowers (although the good vini x brachy can be showstoppers).

crossing armeniacum and micranthum produces fumi's delight, which to my knowledge doesn't give you a high proportion of quality plants, but the bestones can be outstanding--like a more well-balanced and golden-toned micranthum. you can also throw it onto a coryopedilum multifloral with excellent results, or even one of the cochlopetalum sequential multiflorals--these give you a lot of parvi influence without the parvi temperament.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Waiting for an update . Gin