Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sanderianum leaf growth speed....

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default sanderianum leaf growth speed....

On another forum we were having a discussion about orchid leaf growth and I questioned whether it was from the base or the tip, especially in my sanderianum since they are natoriusly slow growers.

On 2/18 I put marks with permanent marker on the terminal leaf at three locations: at the junction where the two lower leaves meet and at the junctions where the edge and ridge of the terminal leaf visually met the same two leaves. Hopefully the picture explains this a bit more.

I noticed some movement after only two days. It was slight enough to possibly be paralax or misalignment of my eyes from where I initially put the marks.

It is VERY obvious now and no amount of alignment error can deny that there has been quite a bit of movement and that it is from the base of the leaf as Heather supposed it would be.

The average amount of movement is 5mm (6 at the bottom, 5 at the left edge and 4 at the right edge. All this in 4 days!!! I think this calculates to about 1 inch a month!!! Maybe I am doing something right!!!!?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I now find that humidity affects growth the most on these based on my paph M.K.

I measured the leaf today and found that the left edge has grown 19mm and the center one 15mm.

We are at 50mm growth as of tonight. That is 54 days in so it is maintaining about a 1mm a day growth rate.

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

What about growth in the width of the leaf Steven? I know in my really young paphs the leaves haven't really grown length wise very much, but the leaves are definitely "broadening".

Cool experiment, I have wondered about this too.

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Steven's plant isn't a small seedling right?

These guys have very long strap leaves that stay mostly the same width, except at the tip.

My paph MK has slowed down a little since my noticable surge of growth, probably because it cooled down, hopefully it will pick up now that spring is coming. I also hope it will send out a new grown soon so it is no longer a single growth plant.

Sandy's are sloooow growers. This will be a very long thread!

One interesting note - they'll do better in about half the light of regular Paphs. I read an older Orchid Digest article on Paph light levels, and sanderianum wants, actually thrives, with half the light of standard Paphs.

McJulie

Yeah, I have read that they like lower light levels recently and have slowly been reducing the light levels to that near phal level. I have also been trying to keep the temps, air flow and humidity up for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by smartie2000 View Post
    My paph MK has slowed down a little since my noticable surge of growth, probably because it cooled down, hopefully it will pick up now that spring is coming. I also hope it will send out a new grown soon so it is no longer a single growth plant.
    Fren,

Try increasing the amount of water for your Paph. Michael Koopowitz. Right now, it is the rainy season for Paph. sanderianum (and other Section Coryopedilum species), which is typically blooming season. If you have watered heavily in fall and winter, then don't water heavily now.

-Pat

Steven : it is undeniable that according to the species and the genus, it's possible to categorize orchids in fast, slow or intermediate to grow.

Nevertheless, it is also undeniable that on a same species and genus, there are important differences in growths between the plants.

Maybe, you were likely to fall on a remarkable sand !

The slowest orchid to grow i have is stonei !!!