Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you get new plants...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Default When you get new plants...

do you quarantine them or treat them in any way before putting them with your existing plants?

I just came back from my very first orchid show. I was very restrained and only bought one Blc. Taiwan Yellow Ball 'Orchis' which seems to be in good condition but seeing as I'm starting to build up a small collection I started thinking that I possibly might need to start treating any new plants I bring into my home to avoid introducing any nasties. What do you think? A quick spray of Physan perhaps? Or not to bother if the plants seem healthy?

Having come from a show I would isolate it for several weeks. Even great vendors have problems from time to time. I have been fighting mealies that came in on some paphs from a very well known and established vendor for several months now. Just when I think I have them licked they pop up again.

Now when you multiply the chances by all the sales tables out there and their relatively close proximity........

Better safe than sorry.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Thanks, you've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I put the new arrival away from other 'chids so I'll keep it separate for now and watch it over the next few weeks.

Good luck in getting rid of those mealies

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

I used to keep new plants away from the others but now there is no treatmentor anything ,its just straight into the green house.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

We like to repot all new arrivals and always clean the plant before introducing it into the green house. In my opinion, potting the new arrivals in your normal mix is best so that you can water 'normally' and not worry about rotting roots, etc...

Cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Okay more questions Do you repot the new arrivals regardless of the time of the year/where in their growth cycle they are? Also do you completely replace the mix i.e. get rid of all the old mix around the roots before potting it into whatever it is that you use? I'm just a bit worried about causing any extra stress seeing as they already have to cope with the change in conditions and, in some cases, had to spend a few days and nights in transit.

I'm still waiting for all my sundries to arrive so can't repot anyway. I blame Royal Mail btw, not my lack or organisation on this one

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Well, many will disagree probably, but we repot even when flowers are on the plant. I try not to disturb the main root ball and gently remove as much of the old medium from the roots as possible without pulling or breaking any roots. We operated a commercial greenhouse for awhile and could take no chances of something being in a pot that could damage our other plants. When we were vendors at orchid shows, we would order in boxes of plants from Hawaii in bloom and bud and we always repotted them as well. I have never seen any ill effects from the way we do it. If you feel the plants you are getting are already a bit stressed, maybe you should wait until they adjust a bit to your care and then repot. Each grower finds her or his own way. This just worked for us, so that is what we try to do. It is funny though, I am a little less likely to report a plant from a vendor I know than from someone I don't know. I get plants from my orchid society fairly often and unless I don't plan to keep the plant, I repot it. If I know that I am going to donate it back to the society or just give it away to a friend, I tell them to be sure to repot it. I always spray new plants (not the flowers though) when we get them. I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    BD
    It most certainly does. The wealth of information and all the different experiences/opinions on these boards are fantastic, plenty of food for thought and things to learn.

I always repot upon arrival, unless the plant is in bloom and is a short bloomer. Then it's not worth risking the blooms - I'll wait till it finishes.

Many plants you'll buy aren't potted in good media, and unfortunately, many have unhealthy roots. It's best to know what you're facing right up front.

I never pay attention to their growth cycle when repotting. I care much more about their survival and their needs. If the plant is a long bloomer, like a Phal and a Paph, I have to weigh whether the repotting and risk of blasting the blooms because of the shock is worth it. If it's a short bloomer, like a Catt, I'll let it flower before I repot. If I'm worried the potting mix might not be good, and it's likely to bloom for a few months (Paph or Phal), I'll repot and risk the flowers not surviving. In months, an improperly potted orchid will die.

Hope this makes sense! I'm multi-tasking and tired! I think I'm done for the night!

McJ

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Thank you, that makes sense. I'll definitely consider having a good look at the roots (what I can see inside the transparent pots looks good but you never know what might be lurking in the middle) and repotting especially seeing as now would probably be the best time for it anyway. I mean I replaced some of the Dend's medium just a couple of days ago. It's in spike, has a new growth and I saw some nice new roots developing and it doesn't seem to be any worse for it. Same with Ascda which I transfered into a different pot and took some of the medium out.

What about bugs and things? Do you treat for them just in case or isolate the new plants?