Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repotting a Cattleya Orchid

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya

Default Repotting a Cattleya Orchid

I have a Cattleya Orchid that I have owned for about 10 years. I never repotted it. Every year so far, it has bloomed around Christmas time. It would have about 24 flowers.

Now, the plant is all growing outside of the pot and has long air roots...about a foot long.

How can I save this plant?

Thanks, Nancy Nowak

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Nancy!

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like it is time to repot. First, you will want to get some new media for your orchid and a new pot. Here is a link that you will probably find helpful.
    http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/cultiv...repotting.html

Enjoy the forum and good luck with your cattleya!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

wow ten years without a repot! wow! Perhaps it's media is still well draining even when decayed, or the plant has grown outside of the pot and surviving well. Sounds like you have huge plant, and it is healthy, but just looks messy...
    I'm very curious about what the plant looks like. Can you show a pic?

Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya

Thanks for writing and helping me out. I did read the articles about replanting and that was somewhat helpful, except my plant is all on the outside. I don't think any of the growth is in the media anymore. I really don't know how to proceed. The air roots are hanging to the floor almost and are wrapped around the pot too. I just didn't pay good enough attention. It had beautiful flowers every year and I was happy about that. But now I know that it is a mess and I wonder how I could ever save it with all the growth on the outside of the pot and probably no roots in the pot!

How can I change my name on this. Somehow, my e-mail address became my user name!

All the best, Nancy

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nancynowak@chartermi.net View Post
    Thanks for writing and helping me out. I did read the articles about replanting and that was somewhat helpful, except my plant is all on the outside. I don't think any of the growth is in the media anymore. I really don't know how to proceed. The air roots are hanging to the floor almost and are wrapped around the pot too. I just didn't pay good enough attention. It had beautiful flowers every year and I was happy about that. But now I know that it is a mess and I wonder how I could ever save it with all the growth on the outside of the pot and probably no roots in the pot!

How can I change my name on this. Somehow, my e-mail address became my user name!

All the best, Nancy
    Nancy, I can change your name and email you a new password. Once you get it, just log in and change the password to something else. If you want me to change it, just tell me what you want.

About your cattleya. If it is in a clay pot, take a hammer (I know it sounds scary) and break the pot into small pieces. Wear goggles to protect your eyes. This will make getting to the actual plant eaiser. If it is in a plastic pot, you might be able to squash it against a table and loosen it up enough to get the plant out.

Once the plant is out of the pot. Remove as much of the old media and dead roots as possible with your hand. You should not have to cut anything.

When this is done, you can either divide the cattleya according to the link I gave you before, or you can repot the entire thing in a new pot.

If you choose to repot, be sure to place the newest growth toward the inside of the pot. Cattleyas like to be potted very tight in their pots.

If you post a photo, I may be able to be more specific. It is hard when I can only imagine what the plant looks like.

Cheers,
    BD

Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya

Thanks so much for your help. Please change my name to shirasongbird.

I could send a photo. How would I do that?

There isn't a lot of growth on the plant because each year I would cut off a few of the shoots after they bloomed. I probably did everything wrong, but the plant continued to have nice flowers each year. I think I have photos of the flowers too and could send that. I worry that I may have ruined the plant.

Also, I don't know how to look at other posts, other than the recent ones that I see from just this evening.

Sorry to be a bother!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shirasongbird View Post
    Thanks so much for your help. Please change my name to shirasongbird.

I could send a photo. How would I do that?

There isn't a lot of growth on the plant because each year I would cut off a few of the shoots after they bloomed. I probably did everything wrong, but the plant continued to have nice flowers each year. I think I have photos of the flowers too and could send that. I worry that I may have ruined the plant.

Also, I don't know how to look at other posts, other than the recent ones that I see from just this evening.

Sorry to be a bother!
    Nancy,
    You can upload a photo using the paperclip icon found at the top of the reply box. If you want to see all threads, you can go to the forum listing page: http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchidtalk/forum.php

I suggest you take a few moments to watch the two demos about posting on OrchidTalk also: http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...ew.php?pg=help

And always remember, everyone here is very friendly and glad to help you in every way. All you have to do is ask.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I just changed your user name. I will send you an email with your new password now.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I haven't seen the plant yet, but I have a feeling that it will do great and look impressive in a basket because of its size. Huge pots tend not to dry as fast, so extra things need to be added like strofoam peanuts or an inverted pot inside the large pot. The other option is to divide the plant up of course

Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya

Default Repotting a cattleya

Here is a photo of my cattleya that needs repotting...

How should I repot it?

Thanks for any help that you can give me!

I will try to send a photo of the plant in bloom also.

Shirasongbird
    Attached Images Attached Images