Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Paphiopedilum sanderianum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Paphiopedilum sanderianum

one of them...

Wow, nice to see a really large one! How long have you had it?

Thanks for posting! That is a real beauty and multigrowth. Heather, ours will take years to get to that size!

Paphsonly, what is the leafspan?

Slightly less than 30".

I have them for over 5 years, two of them for over 9 years. They are very fast growers once they are mature. This one has been divided 2 years ago, 2 plants like the one pictured, and 1 backgrowth with a new growth and I have it for 6 years.

If you do not mess with the pH, they will be growing faster and faster. They are very sensitive to some sort of toxicity that eventually kills all the plants in cultivation, except a few. Its hybrids are sensitive too, and it appears as a rust pitting. I guess it is a metal toxicity, iron manganese or zinc.

I have been unable to grow them successfully in CHC for some reason, and I use plain bark and pumice, with some sphagnum and peat. Touchy species, but once it is happy, really fast growing. Seedlings or large plants need a few months to adjust to new growing conditions.

I have grown 2 others from seed. Painfully slow grower until they reach 10". then, slightly faster grower. Around 15-20", they grow quite fast. Be patient !

( great kolopakingii on the other post ! Are you sure it is not a giant topperi ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Paphsonly
    Slightly less than 30".

I have them for over 5 years, two of them for over 9 years. They are very fast growers once they are mature. This one has been divided 2 years ago, 2 plants like the one pictured, and 1 backgrowth with a new growth and I have it for 6 years.

If you do not mess with the pH, they will be growing faster and faster. They are very sensitive to some sort of toxicity that eventually kills all the plants in cultivation, except a few. Its hybrids are sensitive too, and it appears as a rust pitting. I guess it is a metal toxicity, iron manganese or zinc.

I have been unable to grow them successfully in CHC for some reason, and I use plain bark and pumice, with some sphagnum and peat. Touchy species, but once it is happy, really fast growing. Seedlings or large plants need a few months to adjust to new growing conditions.

I have grown 2 others from seed. Painfully slow grower until they reach 10". then, slightly faster grower. Around 15-20", they grow quite fast. Be patient !

( great kolopakingii on the other post ! Are you sure it is not a giant topperi ?)
    I'm so jealous of your matured sized sanderianums! Have they bloomed for you yet?