Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After the rain last night...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default After the rain last night...

After all the rain last night, I would have never thought the roses would be so beautiful. I took these photos about 20 minutes ago (around 10am C). I am amazed at how resilient mother-nature creatures can be!

The first photo is of a grouping and the second is of a single beautiful bloom. I cannot remember what type rose bush this is, but it is only two years old. I planted it in 2002. It just blooms and blooms. This year especially!

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gorgeous...I just love roses.
    Good growing!

I bet they smell delish! Just makes me bury my nose right in the middle! Mmmm, such a heavenly scent!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    I bet they smell delish! Just makes me bury my nose right in the middle! Mmmm, such a heavenly scent!
    Oh Heather, you would love the smell of these! They are just right! Not too strong, but enough so that you can smell them when you walk out onto the deck. MMMMM!

I love roses too Dana. I have not had very good luck with them the last few years because of some kind of leaf disease. This year though, the three bushes I have on the north side of the house are growing and blooming like gangbusters!

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer
    I have not had very good luck with them the last few years because of some kind of leaf disease.
    Hi Bruce!

Funny you should say that because I was just admiring the beautiful foliage on your rose bush. You've done a nice job in nurturing it back to health! What a lovely color the roses are!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks, Nancy!

I think it is all luck! I put some 7-dust on them in the early spring a few times to keep the white flies off, but so far this year no spotty leaves! I am so happy. With the temps like they are here in Arkansas, I expect to have blooming roses till sometime in late November or early December.

It might help that last December I cut the bushes back to about 12 inches high. They had been just eaten up with the grasshoppers and that leaf disease so I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. This spring they have been great! Some of the blooms are so heavy they pull the stems over.

Anyway, I love 'em!

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer

If there is 1 thing that does grow well in the Uk it,s got to be roses.

I have an old rambling rose in the back garden that is over 50 years old , it gets black spot no matter what i do to it but it still flowers consistantly.A very dark red & the smell is almost over powering(very musky).I,d post a picie but i,ve lent my camera to my sister for her Hols.

It might help that last December I cut the bushes back to about 12 inches high. They had been just eaten up with the grasshoppers and that leaf disease so I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. This spring they have been great! Some of the blooms are so heavy they pull the stems over.
    Isn't it weird how that works? Sometimes the best thing you can do for a plant is prune the hell out of it.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I thought if I killed them, I would just plant some ever-green shrubs there. I am so glad *that* didn't happen!

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer

Bruce,
    Nice roses!!! As far as identification goes, I'd bet this is one of Jackson & Perkins "Double Delight" roses. It appears to be a "tea rose" with a single blossom per stem.

"Double Delight" was introduced in 1977 and has been offered by J&P for a LONG time. We have planted at least one at each of the houses we have lived in and have one on order now! The scent is incredible! The one we had in Phoenix was quite creamy in the center like yours. It came from boxstore. Some seem to be more yellow in the center than others. It's that mericlone variation thing, you know.

Anyway, good growing! Here is a link to the J&P site showing "Double Delight"

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...919&header_sel=