Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Orchid Society Meeting

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default First Orchid Society Meeting

I went to my first local orchid society meeting this past week and had a great time. Since I'm only 20 I was a little out of place in the group that had an average age of 60 , but their love of orchids and friendliness made me feel welcomed with open arms. I look forward to the next meeting with anticipation. I hope everybody on this website participates in their local society because it looks like a great way to get exposed to orchids and to make new friends.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Paphanatic, good for you!

I wish either of the ones in my general area were closer. The NH one is farther, but there meetings are on Sat. mornings, which could actully be more convenient than the MOS. We really need a Central MA society. Hmmm....

I'm interested to hear more about your growing conditions in Arizona, Paphanatic! I lived in Albuquerque for a while and now cannot imagine growing in such dry conditions there.

The only plants that I have are in my bedroom so I am able to control the temperature of the room. I haven't had any problem with humidity either. All I use to boost the humidity are humidity trays; however, it is amazing how much water evaporates every day. I would say I have to replace about a gallon of water a day. I just purchased a sanderianum and it should arrive tomorrow. I'm so psyched!!! I just hope I don't kill it.

Hey! Congrats on your new sanderianum!!! I just got one a few weeks ago. Their roots are very fragile so if it is young (I assume it is) be very careful when you pot it up. I was terrified, but it is doing well so far.

I would *love* to see a photo of it! I like to see these little sandy babies!
    Thanks for the culture info...

Default Societies...can be great

I really enjoy my society meetings. I am not as young as Paphanatic, but I am just a generation younger than most of the members.

At first I wondered if I had come to the wrong place, but I find they are so appreciative of anything anyone does to help. For instance, we had a speaker come all the way from S America once and he had laptop problems with his PowerPoint presentation...Greg A (the photographer) was there and asked the group who could help with the laptop...it was very clear very quickly that not a soul knew how to turn a laptop on except for me.

I've talked to several younger growers that enjoy going. Some end up with quite large responsibilities within the management of the group: newsletters, etc.

Keep going--you'll love it!

Default me too...

I also went to my first society meeting this month. At first I was also a little taken at the age gap, I am 25 and the next youngest person was about 40, but it ended up being great. I look forward to going to the next meeting and making some great friends.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Local societies can be really awesome places to learn about growing, and you can meet some great folks. Glad you went, Travis.

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

We have a nice age spread in our group 12 -70 .........you need your older members, because they usually have been growing for years, they have set up show exhibits, and they are always willing to share divisions ! Think of them as your mentors-teachers.

Due to my work schedule, I have never been abvle to attend my local societies meetings, however my schedule has recently changed and I can attend the meetings. I plan on going to next months meeting with a friend who is a member of the local chapter. I look foreward to learning from them just like I have learned from your own successes and failures!