Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: physan resistance

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So, not to overstate the obvious, but physan can be used with each fertilizing as preventative, but if there's a problem with a fungal infection, get Cleary's? Does Cleary's do anything for bacterial problems?

Liz, this is my opinion and what has worked for me. I have a greater risk of fungal and bacterial problems than people living in the northeast or in Arizona. I grow outside in S Florida where it can rain every day for six weeks! Humidity can be over 80% for months!

You should evaluate your risks and make decisions from those parameters. If you feel you have a high risk of fungal/bacterial problems due to lack of air circulation, no amount of chemical is going to solve that--increase your air circulation instead of buying more chemicals.

If you have external risk factors, as I have, you may want to think about setting up a preventative schedule.

I agree with the floofinator. most copper based products will kill any bacteria, fungus you have. Copper based products are very nasty stuff but if you have large collections, it is a must to get rid of the rot and then start the periodical treatments with Physan. I have never used Cleary's but I hear it works well and is much less toxic than the other sprays out there. the toxicity is only when it is wet and you breath it or get it on you skin. Like most pesticides a little should not hurt but it's better safe than sorry.

I don't really think I have a problem, but I thought I was missing something because I didn't have Physan. I've got about 40 plants ouside, but humidity is not too high, it doesn't rain too much, and the air circulation is great. Maybe I didn't need it after all.

Well, an ounce of prevention and all that. fungus/bacteria come in all shapes and attack certain plants. Ever have a new growth rot? Every have a black spot that continues to grow appear? Ever have rust spots? Most are fungal problems. Physan or Consan are a cheap, non-toxic way to prevent these problems as well as a ton of others. For that collection just mix in a spray bottle and spray your plants every few weeks to once a month.

Thanks Persistance. That's what I needed to know. And now that I've looked at the label, I see I can use it for mildew on my roses and some other things, too.

Very helpful info, and pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks to all!

Someone on another chatline recommended Dithane 45, a systemic, to treat a leaf condition on a paph that wouldn't go away - just kept eating away down from the tip - even after sterilizing and cutting. I already had some so I used it (and it worked). The next day I woke up dizzy (well, dizzier than usual!) and scared myself to death, figuring I'd been poisoned. Turned out to be an inner ear thing. Phew!

Copper based products are very nasty stuff but if you have large collections, it is a must to get rid of the rot and then start the periodical treatments with Physan.
    I'm struggling with this problem right now. We've had a damp, cool summer here and as a result, I'm getting fungus damage for the first time. The problem seems to be confined to a few intergenerics, and I've been treating it with a combination of isolation, leaf removal and cinnamon application -- primitive, I know.
    I've always hesitated to use heavy-duty chemicals because I grow inside my house. Moreover, the dogs get into everything; the one time I tried fish emulsion, the terrier knocked a pot over and rolled in the medium . Knowing that chemicals which are toxic to humans tend to be that much more poisonous to little critters has kept me away from the Physan and copper products thus far, but I don't know how much longer I can avoid them, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Persistence
    Well, an ounce of prevention and all that. fungus/bacteria come in all shapes and attack certain plants. Ever have a new growth rot? Every have a black spot that continues to grow appear? Ever have rust spots? Most are fungal problems. Physan or Consan are a cheap, non-toxic way to prevent these problems as well as a ton of others. For that collection just mix in a spray bottle and spray your plants every few weeks to once a month.
    I never knew Physan was nontoxic! Where can I get some? I've been using neem oil. It works really good, but would like to have another product to try. I'm all about products.