Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few new Orchid Forum Features

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default A few new Orchid Forum Features

Hi folks,

I just wanted to let you know of some updates that have been added to the site for your information and pleasure. You may have noticed on the lobby page the counter in the center under "Enter the OrchidTalk Orchid Forums".

This counter is counting up from the day we put the forum on-line. It is not that incredibly handy, but cool information in any regard. I also added a similar counter on the Forum listing page under "what's going on". This one list years, instead of days so for those of us mathematically challenged, we can look there to see how many years 1500+ days really amounts too.

But the feature that I think you will find pleasing is the OrchidTalk Radio Stations. If you are connecting to OrchidTalk through DSL, Cable, or T1 connection (88 % of our users do) then you can listen to the radio while you browse the forum and post replies and threads.

To access the radio, look up on the main navbar for the words "Quick Links". This is a drop down that contains many handy links you will probably find useful when you are logged into the forum. At the bottom of the list, I placed the OrchidTalk Radio Station link. This will open a new browser window. Once there, you can select from many stations that I have added. Registered users who have made the requisite number of posts, can create favorite station list, rate and report the links. The users who are "Friends of RVO" can add stations to the list and edit the ones they add in addition to the regular features available to the registered users of the forum.

This feature is set up so that only members of our community can use it. You must be logged into the forum to listen to the radio here.

My favorite stations include the jazz channels, the 80's channel, the 70's channel, and the classical channels. What are yours?

Enjoy and thanks for being a member of this community!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Anyone check out the radio stations yet? Here is a direct link: OrchidTalk Radio

Cheers,
    BD

LOL it works , thanks !

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Palito View Post
    LOL it works , thanks !
    Thanks. I was beginning to think I was the only one that could use it. It automatically opens up a random station from the page when you visit the page. I have not figured out how to get it to open up a random one from each member's selected 'favorites' just yet, but I would like to set it that way. I have been enjoying the 80's channel.

Cheers,
    BD

Got it too, thanks. I got the toolbar as well, lovin' it !! J

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

It might be my work computer, but it keeps asking me for user name and PW and won't let me in... (At least, I think I'm using my password here? I have it saved... I think I've forgotten it in my pure exhaustion...Maybe... I dunno....)

I'm assuming it wants my info for here... maybe it wants my work ID? ... I dunno....

Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Member's Country Flag

OK... tried the work ID/PW and it stopped asking me... but now when I hit play, it just says 'connecting' for a bit, then goes back to needing me to hit play again....

Probably the fault of my overly restrictive bank firewalls... those darn IT people... always trying to protect the privacy of our customers and data systems...

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shaydra View Post
    OK... tried the work ID/PW and it stopped asking me... but now when I hit play, it just says 'connecting' for a bit, then goes back to needing me to hit play again....

Probably the fault of my overly restrictive bank firewalls... those darn IT people... always trying to protect the privacy of our customers and data systems...
    Yes, it must be your work security settings. I checked it on the university system where I work and it works just fine. Hope you get it to work for you 'at work'. It sure is fun.

Cheers,
    BD

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob

Hey I can get it too! Thanks!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Got it working, although it didn't start playing automatically when I opened it, I had to reselect the station.

Now, all I need to find is some country stations (not that I have been overwhelmingly influenced by my trip to Texas or anything!)

That's got me thinking - are there any piping stations - maybe we could set up a radio link direct from McBagpipes!