Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repotted Masdie

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Repotted Masdie

I just repotted my Masdevallia Angel Tang. This is the first plant I've repotted that I bought from Suncoast on Ebay - it had great roots! Lots of nice new growth, nothing rotted at all. I repotted it into some NZ Sphag in my constant effort to keep it happy and moist. My first time repotting in sphag - so easy! I am a little nervous that I packed the sphag too tightly, there were a couple of large air pockets so I used a skewer to fill them in a little, but not too much as I know it will pack down more with watering. Anyway, it was fun, and looks happy. I wasn't going to change the pot, but it was a tad small (2.5" round) so I tried a 2.5" square which gave it a bit more room and I can also see a couple of the roots now and keep track of it better. Gee, now I may just have to do the Confetti too!

On a slightly unrelated note - I got some new, large humidity trays over the weekend, and this morning is the first in *ages* that nothing needs watering. I generally water at least the phrags every other day, based on the St. Peter and the little babies who dry out quickly. Granted it has been terribly muggy (for me) the last couple days w/ humidity running around at least 80%, but I think also, the trays are helping to keep the air more moist. Yay!!! (So, I ordered 4 more trays! LOL)

How big is that Confetti getting? I can't wait to see it when it is in bloom again, I just *love* those.

That kind of humidity trays did you get? I've been doing things the stones-in-water way. Seems to work ok , none of my plants ever had the pleated leaf syndrome.

Confetti still so wee, maybe 4" ls? But, put out a few more leaves. You know? I really do *love* my little masdies! They are so small they fit in between all the slippers!

The sun is moving - anyone noticed that? Clearly it is August - getting more sun in my window...

Anyway, the trays I got from Orchids Ltd. and though I measured, they are bevelled, so the base is smaller than the top edge, which means I can fit three more, and spread the paphs out better. I also got one for my third floor where the cattleya's are (yes, they've been ousted! Poor kittcatts! )

So, I was bored, and craving some orchid action so I repotted the Confetti. As usual, so glad I did!! Had a lot of longer roots that were pretty rotted. Can't even remember the last time I actually had to *trim* roots! However, lots of new roots that have grown since I got it (I've been watching! ) So, put it in a new little aircone pot w/ the NZ sphag so I can watch it and hopefully it will continue to do even better!

Default NZ Sphag for Phrag?

Hi Heather,
    I apologize if someone has asked this question before, but I was wondering if you or anyone else has potted their Phrag in sphag? Mine loves to suck up the water, so I was thinking that it may be a good idea. Mine has a new growth coming and I want to repot soon. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    martha

I have not, but I had a phal seriously rot in sphag, so I'm a little cautious about using it with something more precious to me. That said, I am struggling w/ watering issues and such w/ the phrags, but I don't think I'd ever put one in sphag. I just have bad memories. The masdies I really need to keep cool right now, so they, I didn't mind experimenting with.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PhalPhreak
    Hi Heather,
    I apologize if someone has asked this question before, but I was wondering if you or anyone else has potted their Phrag in sphag? Mine loves to suck up the water, so I was thinking that it may be a good idea. Mine has a new growth coming and I want to repot soon. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    martha
    Martha,

I just answered a PM regarding phrag mixes, and will repost part of my reply here since it is germane to your question. I have had great success in the past potting phrags in sphag (which will NOT require you to sit them in water).
    ---
    (rant about the perceived notion that people have issues with *more* paph/phrag topics, but I think that legitimate cultivation questions belong here. I'll look the other way if people want to talk about minicatts, I'd suggest people just do the same for slippers).

...when I started growing phrags, I was not able to get enough water to them via a bark mix, and I refused to sit them in water (just being stubborn). A nearly foolproof beginner method is to use clay pots and loosely packed sphag moss. I have been using the NZ stuff exclusively for a long time, but in the beginning I used domestic Wisconsin stuff from HD and it was fine. I still think NZ is much better though.

I've gone up to 6.5" or 7" clay pots (which are quite large) using this method, so I'd avoid dividing your plant unless you have a real need to, i.e. it's growing in two directions and the middle is showing no growth or dying back, or maybe someone on this forum is coercing you to give her a piece...

If you go the sphagnum route, fertilize lightly and water just before the top gets "crispy". The drawbacks to sphag is that the pot can dry out very variably, depending on conditions. A few hot days and even a large pot can dry out in a hurry. And you have to repot in about 6 months since you're watering frequently. I especially like the clay for pure besseae, which likes a cool root zone.

Thanks Heather and Jason. The Phrag in question is a besseae hybrid (Eric Young 4n x Longifolium 4n). I have been growing it in a plastic pot sitting in about an inch of RO water (changed daily) for the majority of the summer. The top 1/2 inch is still bone dry every evening when I get home from work!! It seems to be growing fine, but I just thought it would be interesting to see if I could grow it in sphag. I think I will definitely try out the clay pot and sphag method. I will definitely keep an eye on it as it acclimatizes.

Thanks Again ,

Martha

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

whoa there...if it's growing just fine, just be cautious in making any changes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    or maybe someone on this forum is coercing you to give her a piece...
    Hey! I've never coerced anyone! Geesh, its not like I have anyone twisted around my little finger or anything. You guys are just always throwing stuff at me! What, am I going to say, *NO*? Clearly, that would make me just insane!!

I did turn down an ivy plant recently! So, I have some self control, you know!