Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A cart with light fixtures?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Has anyone made a grow cart like Traci wants out of a TV cart, like when TVs were 20-27 inches? Those kind of cheap carts with 3 shelves? They are not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Ki_in_NoVa
    You have a house? Ok, I have a tiny (huge by NYC standards but tiny anywhere else) studio apartment....

But I totally understand about containing growing space. I have commercial chrome shelving (to hold the weight of all those damn books). I started with one shelf of plants, but then the books got moved to the floor and then the pots got moved into boxes and then.... So anyway, current count is something like 8-10 shoplights. This winter I may need more sun. We shall see.
    Yes, I have a house, but it is smaller than the last apartment I lived in lol. It has a very strange set up. There is up one level (which is the actual house) set up ranch style, 2 bedrooms, a tiny living room and a kitchen so small we use a card table sized dinette. The basement is set up like an inlaw apartment, I could very well grow down there, but it gets SOO COLD. I may actually move a few of my cooler growing plants down there in the fall to trigger flowering....not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ncclimber
    Heres a pic of my grow room. I'll try to take some more pictures tonight as I have changed a few things around. The upper light is a 400 watt switchable HID light that I currently have a HPS bulb in. and the lower lights are 2 florescent shop lights with warm cool and full spectrum bulbs.
    Did you build the structure by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidTraci
    The basement is set up like an inlaw apartment, I could very well grow down there, but it gets SOO COLD. I may actually move a few of my cooler growing plants down there in the fall to trigger flowering....not a bad idea.
    oh, house envy again. Cool winter temps means I get to live in cold temps too. Gotta love this one room deal....

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidTraci
    Did you build the structure by yourself?

No traci, I bought the shelving at Lowes or boxstore. Just adjustable crome shelving. It came with 4 shelves but I only use two of them.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Awesome setups, you guys. The plants obviously think so too....

Traci, seems like your best bet would be to do a boxstore run and put some things together from parts that would look nice and still be functional.

very informative and inspiring thread. so far, all i have that matches any of the pics is ncclimber's spray bottle.

but it's nice. i like it

when i can scrounge materials and have even a little time, i build and don't buy. humidity trays, cedar baskets, shelving...atm i'm having a second think about the shop fixtures i inherited from the previous tenant, in spite of not really wanting to grow under lights....decisions, decisions. anyway, thanks all.

p

Quote Originally Posted by peteMc
    atm i'm having a second think about the shop fixtures i inherited from the previous tenant, in spite of not really wanting to grow under lights....decisions, decisions. anyway, thanks all.

p
    I'll relieve you of that burden, just send them over here
    Well...you can't blame a girl for trying!

Traci, if this helps at all in your decision, I just got a chrome adjustable 4 shelf thing (a copy of that Intermetro or whatever it's called) for under $40 at HD. I think it was available in black and white, too. It's really a good size and you could easily and asthetically hang lights under the shelves. I've currently got about 35 plants on it, and some are fairly large plants (a dend that's got to be 2" tall, for instance). When I move it inside in the winter, it will be easy to simply add the lights. Just my 2 cents...
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by lja
    Awesome setups, you guys. The plants obviously think so too....

Traci, seems like your best bet would be to do a boxstore run and put some things together from parts that would look nice and still be functional.
    Funny that I brought this topic up. Last night Kevin told me he wanted to set up a heater down here (the basement where the BEST space is available) so I could really get the most bang for my buck. I guess we will be making our own set up. I'm pretty excited!