Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's making little holes in my pbs?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default what's making little holes in my pbs?

I was so excited to be buying plants that I didn't inspect very carefully, and there are little round pocks or shallow holes in some of the pbs of my two new miltonidiums. I can't see any bugs at all, and one of the plants is very robust, crazy with roots, pbs, new growth, and spikes in various stages of development. I used physan first, and then the pyrethrin bug spray because it was that or neem oil. Anyone know what's eating my pbs? Please tell me it's not fatal.
    Liz

I have some new orchids that had the same thing. So far they've been fine, as the holes/marks seem to have healed a while back. Mine has the suspicious look of a snail having eaten away at it (judging from photos I've seen). I suspect it wouldn't hurt to put physan and cinammon on the wound, probably post a pic if you can so folks can see if it's a simple blemish that doesn't matter.

My Brassidium came with a couple of small holes in it.
    Have you repotted it yet? Sometimes little tiny snails are in the pot, it is something that happens, even with the tidiest, cleanest growers. Repot it and soak it and see if any little snail come out. Treat it just incase .

Thanks Traci. That's pretty much what I did. The holes could be old, caused by snails that the grower already eliminated. Interesting that both plants have them. I don't have to isolate them or anything, do I?

I got scared by the idea (suggested elsewhere) that they could be weevils which were laying eggs in the pbs. It all sounded pretty nasty. I like the idea of tiny snails much better.

Thanks!
    Liz

I have never seen/ dealt with any weevils, and I hope I never do. I'm sure your plants will be fine. Just don't set them *too* close to your other plants, just in case.

I'm posting some photos. One of them is of the worst hole, it's obvious which one. A few leaves on the other one has that weird black spotting (that I fear was what started the whole cucumber thing), but I'm not too worried about that, unless it gets worse. Hopefully, it's just some old snail holes and the snails are long gone. What do y'all think?

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lizabethweis/album?.dir=/27e2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lizabethweis/my_photos

Here are some photos. One is of the worst hole; it's obvious which one. There are also two leaves with that common black spotting (I fear the cucumber discussion), but that doesn't worry me. Hopefully these are just old snail holes. What do y'all think? (Other than I need digital photography lessons.)
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Those leaf spots are pretty much "par for the course"--but something was definitely chewing on those PBs. It might have been snails/slugs, even beetles. The holes look old to me, though. I've never seen weevil damage, so can't comment on that.... But if you want to get *really* grossed out, check out this month's orchids mag. Hollow pseudobulbs of some type or another *designed* to house nastiness--some kind of symbiotic relationship between the nastiness and the plant....

Whew. I always feel relieved when Louis tells me not to worry! Good point, they look old. I don't think anything is still eating on it. If it gets worse, or if if little babies come crawling out of the holes, I'll start worrying.
    As always, thanks!

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

No prob, Liz. A little Physan or listerine in those holes would scare anything in there to death, in case you're concerned....